Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Platesetter build experiment

Options
Figured I would try a few tests with building a few different platesetters for the LBGE. I have a large roasting pan that I had to modify the handles on just to fit inside the grill and it will as long as the BGE platesetter is installed with legs down. The only problem with that is if cooking a turkey it puts the turkey too high in the dome and messes with timing. The roaster wouldn't fit with legs up and I don't have an AR (yet) so came up with two options I built but haven't tested yet.

The first one is designed to hold a stone so I can get the roaster lower. It is a piece of 3" steel pipe sliced 3/4" thick with 3/4" plate for the legs.
Was going to use my pizza stone but even though it will fit down in there, it doesn't allow enough room for air movement. It pretty much closes off everything so I know that won't work. Went looking for a 12" or 13" pizza stone but couldn't find one in town. Thus how the next design came into play.

The second platesetter is made out of 3/4" steel plate (yeah, it weighs way more than the BGE PS). The center plate is 12" Diameter with 3/4" plate for the legs too.
The only thing that concerns me about this is what the temperature difference will be between cooking on ceramic and cooking on steel. The steel is going to get hotter but I plan on raising the roaster off the PS for airflow under the pan. 

So, has anyone tried anything like this and if so, what were your results and any other input you may have? Hell, even if you haven't tried this and have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.
I'm hoping to find a smaller pizza stone for the Turkey cook this T-Day and don't want to experiment with the solid steel one seeing that there will be about 17 people here and don't want this turning into a Charlie Foxtrot. 

Figured that if neither one of these work, I'm only out the hour it took to build these and a few pieces of scrap steel plate. 

imageimage

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I want to comment about the first one. First of all it is very nice. Nice welds. Instead of making that piece up why not just throw the grid on at that level with a stone on top of it? Wouldn't it be the same?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• tridogdude
    Options
    @grege345   Yeah, I actually considered that but I just like to build **** and see what the results are. Also was considering using the one with solid plate to cook directly on. 

Was also considering trying to make a two tier cooking platform using the solid plate PS shown in the 2nd photo.  

I need to find some stone that would get enough blockage of the direct flame. I have some marble here that I could make work but it would be a piece meal type thing. Was thinking about heading down to a friend who does granite and see if he has a scrap sink cut out to make it cleaner. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Be sure to talk to your friend about the temperature range to which the granite will be exposed.  I would guess that the 800 to 1000 degree temperatures has the possibility of causing problems with granite. 

A fired clay pot base might be a better choice ... and much cheaper.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    My compliments on your ingenuity and building skills.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @jeepster47 Pretty sure granite wouldn't hold up very long but he deals with all types of stone so see what he recommends. Thanks for the tip on the ceramic pot base. Never even thought about that and it may be something I could locate on short notice. 

Thanks @anton for the compliments. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @tridogdude, try Home Depot, I bought a 13" Brinkmann pizza stone for around $13-15 bucks, could easily be used as an indirect stone as well.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Cheap pie pan full of sand?

Little Rock, AR

• tridogdude
    Options
    @anton   We tried there and no go. Home depot here didn't have any. 

@biggreenpharmacist    That is a good idea, we found a 12" pizza stone so that will work. Been cooking lots of pizzas so it will not go to waste having two. Just a better reason to try and convince my wife to get another egg. LOL.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Great project...was curious myself about making plate steel accessories
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @Ikapigian    After T-Day, I am going to experiment with a turkey on the steel platesetter and report my findings. The steel will definitely deflect the heat, but I think it could increase the heat on the roasting pan. How much I am not sure compared to ceramic.