Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A tip for those who wish to search the forum

rtt121
rtt121 Posts: 653
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
I saw a post earlier today where someone replied to a question about cooking with something along the lines of "search for what you just asked".  He got flamed a little and it's not the first time it has happened.  I see both sides.As you know the forum search option is not very fruitful. Some may know this trick, I am sure some don't. Go to google and in the search bar type:

site:eggheadforum.com desired search parameter

The desired search parameter can follow all normal google search rules.  An example:  Earlier today I recommended the travis method for a small brisket flat.  Being that I am a d@#$% and did not provide a link... one could have searched in google:

site:eggheadforum.com "travis", "method"

All results are populated from within the forum and contain the word travis and method somewhere in the thread.

I know that no one minds helping with questions that might have already been asked.. I am not trying to say don't ask. I am just trying to help. Also, FWIW this is a Google trick not a forum trick so it will work for any website.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I am about as tech savvy as my wife is with carburetors. But I've found the easiest thing to do is google "example food big green egg" most of the time the best leads are this forum. Which shows how valuable this forum really is.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    And yeah, most on this forum are VERY helpful answering questions that have been asked 1000s of times.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • rtt121
    edited November 2014
    Your right most searches lead here.  This way of searching can be VERY helpful if searching for that one post you know you say but didn't bookmark.

Also, I am not really a d$%^@...  I just don't think sometimes.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

Some want current eggamples and eggperiences. 

Both old and new info is helpful
    New Albany, Ohio 

• rtt121
    Again, not trying to say search before ask.

Just trying to help those that wish to search before ask.
  • Rtt, I'm with you. Sometimes you need to refer to the search. I don't do it to be smart, it's just such an open ended question, or a complicated answer like Travis style.

also, this thread will help me. I'm on my phone a lot and I can't figure for the life of me how to search on mobile. Thanks for posting.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    rtt121 said:
    I saw a post earlier today where someone replied to a question about cooking with something along the lines of "search for what you just asked".  He got flamed a little and it's not the first time it has happened....

my popcorn is ready, where's that thread?  :D
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    All I want to know is what is everyone's favorite lump? :-@
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I say search before you ask. It's not that hard to do, really. Just use the search engine on the forum as it works very well. This issue pops up every year around thanksgiving. Usually when people can't decide between a spatchcock or traditionally cooked bird. After the same question pops up 50 times, tempers start to flare. LOL
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938

I say search before you ask. It's not that hard to do, really. Just use the search engine on the forum as it works very well. This issue pops up every year around thanksgiving. Usually when people can't decide between a spatchcock or traditionally cooked bird. After the same question pops up 50 times, tempers start to flare. LOL
    So how do you spatchcock a turkey?   :D
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Especially after some of the people have had some adult beverages.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What's a reverse sear?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • How do I cook a pizza?
  • Zmokin
    rtt121 said:
    I saw a post earlier today where someone replied to a question about cooking with something along the lines of "search for what you just asked".  He got flamed a little and it's not the first time it has happened.  I see both sides.As you know the forum search option is not very fruitful. Some may know this trick, I am sure some don't. Go to google and in the search bar type:

site:eggheadforum.com desired search parameter

The desired search parameter can follow all normal google search rules.  An example:  Earlier today I recommended the travis method for a small brisket flat.  Being that I am a d@#$% and did not provide a link... one could have searched in google:

site:eggheadforum.com "travis", "method"

All results are populated from within the forum and contain the word travis and method somewhere in the thread.

I know that no one minds helping with questions that might have already been asked.. I am not trying to say don't ask. I am just trying to help. Also, FWIW this is a Google trick not a forum trick so it will work for any website.

Like they say, you learn something new everyday.
    I will need to keep this little trick in mind.  Some sites offer a google search link on their site, but some don't limit the search to just their website.  This little trick IMO will be very useful.  Thanks for sharing.

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    I agree. Easy peazy.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Zmokin
    edited November 2014
    I've got some questions.  How long should I soak my wood?  Should I use chips or chunks?  Should I go fat side up or down?  Why do they call it a butt?  Turbo or low & slow?  Should I brine, inject or rub.  Maybe all three?  Who is Travis and what is his method?  Is Travis black?  What's better, grid or dome temp?  Should I cover my egg or leave it uncovered.  Can I egg in cold weather?  How old is SGH and can he eat as much as he claims?  Why does Henapple seem to know everyone?  How long do I wait to put my food on after lighting? Does Mickey pressure guys to wear kilts?  Are HighQ grates better?  How come there isn't one for the XL?  Should I spatchcock?  What cast iron pot or pan should I buy?  Did anyone learn anything in brisket camp except their alcohol intake limits?  Speaking of brisket camp, where's NOLA?  Who are these other guys that just started posting with 1000's of posts to their credit?  Are their any women on this forum?  Is Bobby Flay really a douche?  Is Little Steven a midget?  Since he likes hockey, does he play in the midget or pee wee league?  What rub should I use on, well, anything?  If it's 100 degrees outside, is it possible to cold smoke?  Should I add a water pan when I egg?  How does Hapster take those wonderful pictures?  If fish sauce smells so bad, why do people eat it?  Who is this VI and Chubbs and why are people looking for them? Should I upgrade to a Smokeware cap?  How come they aren't standard equipment because the daisywheel sucks?  Does RRP have stock in Rutland?  Should I go Rutland, Nomex or commando? How much should I knock off the price of a used egg without a warranty? Is real chili without beans or are the Texans full of crap?
    I would like to a stab at the last one.  I've heard someone once say about the only two things that come out of Texas.  Now, I'm not sure what might come out of a queer, but I know what comes out of the back end of a steer. :))

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2014
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ Answers: Never, either, In pre-revolutionary New England and into the Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog," like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment, turbo for pork, slo for brisket, rub, amazing, ?, dome for reference, uncovered, the colder the better, older than dirt and probably yes, he's been around a long time, until the coals are ready, what is a kilt?, no, because, YES, lodge, ?, New Orleans, old timers, there used to be one but she dropped her phone in the fire, I love Bar Americain, not quite, not sure, whatever you like, great question, no, he's good, it makes everything else taste great, you may know them under another name, probably, agree, don't know but he provides a great service, Rutland, a lot, I don't eat chili. You know you could have googled these answers.
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited November 2014

Somebody needs to talk to Wilma.  I think Fred is one frustrated caveman.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• FarmerTom said:

Somebody needs to talk to Wilma.  I think Fred is one frustrated caveman.

There ain't much to do here because I have a rotten cold and my MIL has invaded for two weeks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Whatever happened to the old saying, "there's no such thing as a stupid question"?

@rtt121‌, your information is great, especially for guys like me that have vampire hours. With that said, your giving me flashbacks of being a curious kid asking questions only to hear the words "go look it up". I heard go look it up a lot in the Army and in nursing school also.

As I get older, I'm realizing people use the go look it up cop out to hide from having to say I don't know.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    @Fred19Flintstone‌- I can help with 2 of your questions. SGH is 49. And no, he can not eat very much. He is actually a platinum member of Weight Watchers and a vegetarian to boot ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Where is Chubbs?!?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited November 2014
    The trade off of search first is that often the first post of someone new is a simple question. The question gets answered and a few welcome to the board replies and that person decides to stick around and become a regular participant. If Google answers the question, maybe the person never joins.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I've got some questions.  How long should I soak my wood? It depends on what you're soaking it in. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    henapple said:

All I want to know is what is everyone's favorite lump? :-@

Frontier with a close second of Cowboy and Royal Oak :^o
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    henapple said:
    What's a reverse sear?
    can this "reverse sear" be accomplished on Mangrates? 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Ive seen this go both ways on forums. Some with massive member bases letting anything go and the noise to signal ratio gets out of whack and the serious members get frustrated and leave. Other forums where anything thats repetitive or already covered gets threads get locked down and a use the search instruction comes down from mods. The latter type can put off some newbies, the former type forum can be hard to endure for seasoned vets. IMO this forum is so loosely moderated and the user base size I would just let the questions flow and direct newbs to good threads on the subject if necessary but refrain from just telling folks to use the search function. After all if only truly new stuff were to be allowed to post this site would just turn into a reference since there insnt much truly new and the community would suffer.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie said:

I would just let the questions flow and direct newbs to good threads on the subject if necessary but refrain from just telling folks to use the search function. .

That's be a lot easier if the dang mobile version was easy to search. I'm on my phone more than other devices.

anybody got some turkey tips?
    B-)