Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Mini Woo Prototype

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
From Felt Line: Sitting in notches: 1/2". Setting above notches: 1 1/4" ..................………… Higher than manufactures grid on fire ring. Sitting in notches: 1" Sitting above notches: 1 3/4" ............................... Can add a 8.5" to 10" Grid to lower ring to do some serious grilling just off the lump. Big Plus made the bottom ring so our 8 1/2" Amazon pizza stones will fit (think that will be useful). But really set up for 10" stone. imageimageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-bd LIKING THIS!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Options
    Please send in thoughts, ideas, and questions.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• badinfluence
    Options
    How about setter legs up?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Options

Got less than .25" and legs up will be working.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    Looks like CGS is not wasting any time turning out accessories for the MM. That's awesome for sure. I'm glad to see it so when I win that MM in Salado I don't have to wait for accessories to come out ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What's your opinion @Mickey which one do u like better? I think the ring for the grid is spot on. Perfect for raised direct with room in the dome. IMO I still think the bottom ring is a hair low yet but I'm only goin off pics
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Options
    grege345 said:
    What's your opinion @Mickey which one do u like better? I think the ring for the grid is spot on. Perfect for raised direct with room in the dome. IMO I still think the bottom ring is a hair low yet but I'm only goin off pics

In tests using a 5" high stack of paperback books the first one the dome would not close. #2 would close. I like the lower ring much better in #2 for several reasons: now will fit 8.5" to 10" stone; will fit 8.5" to 10" grid; will fit the 9" Lodge CI.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

The second one sounds better.

Could you post a pic of the 2 prototypes side by side for comparison?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Mickey said:

Got less than .25" and legs up will be working.

I'm confused. So it still lacks .25 from fitting? I'd really like it to work with the bge platesetter, if nothing else so it can remain a backup stone.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    caliking said:

The second one sounds better.

Could you post a pic of the 2 prototypes side by side for comparison?

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    When I win the MM in Salado, does one of those proto type rings come with it? If so, I expect it to be in good shape when I pick it up ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Looks like #2 is a winner.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I don't have a dog in this but would you rather it have handles like the bigger woo's? I have one for my large and small and I really like the handles.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of the handles on my small woo. I want to use it with my wok, and just haven't gotten around to cutting them off.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Options
    DMW said:
    I'm not a huge fan of the handles on my small woo. I want to use it with my wok, and just haven't gotten around to cutting them off.

I am with you. There seems to be plenty to grab to lift it. Handles screw up the wok. Now this shot was with #1 but nothing should have changed. image

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I like using my 10" CI pie pan. Are you saying I couldn't fit it going indirect with this set-up?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Options
    I like using my 10" CI pie pan. Are you saying I couldn't fit it going indirect with this set-up?

As I recall the 10" will fit as is.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Mickey yes, 10" fits standard with PS legs up. But, will it fit using this #1 or #2 design? I'm definitely wanting to go this route as I can see the versatility it will provide.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Options
    Mickey yes, 10" fits standard with PS legs up. But, will it fit using this #1 or #2 design? I'm definitely wanting to go this route as I can see the versatility it will provide.

Yes it will fit #1 and #2 now. I just measured.

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I have both the similar woo styles for the large and they both get workouts at fests. Everyday use #2 is the go to.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Options
    I have both the similar woo styles for the large and they both get workouts at fests. Everyday use #2 is the go to.

Agree. Just get a fraction of an inch opening at the 90's and the BGE Platesetter will drop in. Need the PS to fit as lots of people like them. I am not in that camp and the 10" stone sill drop in now.

• mgunders
    Options
    I'm in for either one of them.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Mickey‌ so with the platesetter legs up your saying that it still is .25 inches to tall?

I understand it could be used with a 10 inch stone and not need the platesetter but I already spent the 50 bones on it so would like to use the darn thing.

any idea of a price point yet?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey‌ so with the platesetter legs up your saying that it still is .25 inches to tall? I understand it could be used with a 10 inch stone and not need the platesetter but I already spent the 50 bones on it so would like to use the darn thing. any idea of a price point yet?

#2 was just this much from the Platesetter dropping down to the botton ring perfectly in legs up or legs down position. The #3 Prototype Mini Max Woo is being shipped fron Denton to Salado now that should take care of the problem. Tom didn't go for my suggestion to taking a Drimmel to a little bit of the platesetter :-t . This is setting down on two of the three points with this much keeping it from working with the new BGE Platesetter. image #2 sure works otherwise. image

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Great work - very impressed with Tom's willingness to accommodate all the ideas presented.  The Woo v.3 is definitely increasing my interest in owning the MiniMax. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Mickey
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    Great work - very impressed with Tom's willingness to accommodate all the ideas presented.  The Woo v.3 is definitely increasing my interest in owing the MiniMax. 

I am enjoying the Mini Max very much and the Mini is just setting (feel sorry for the little guy). He is setting in the corner. image

• badinfluence
    Options
    Nice. If #3 fixes that problem I'm in.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Mickey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nice. If #3 fixes that problem I'm in.

Will have the new shots by Monday. FedEx gets to my house around 6pm. Will do those asap.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Mickey said:

tksmoke said:

Great work - very impressed with Tom's willingness to accommodate all the ideas presented.  The Woo v.3 is definitely increasing my interest in owing the MiniMax. 

I am enjoying the Mini Max very much and the Mini is just setting (feel sorry for the little guy). He is setting in the corner.

Send the little guy to Bama and I'll put him to work.
    :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Hey @Mickey, it's really neat to see the Mini and the MM close to each other for comparison!
    Where oh where did you find that solid top cart to carry both of them?
    I'd love to know that.
    TIA!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon