Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AMISH SOUR DOUGH FRIENDSHIP BREAD

dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Finally....here it is !!!!

INGREDIENTS

Pillsbury Bread Flour

Instant Potato Flakes

Corn Oil

Salt

Sugar

1 Pkg Dry Active Yeast

TO START A STARTER FROM SCRATCH:

Mix 1 Pkg yeast, ¾ cup sugar, 5 Tbsp instant potatoes, 1 cup warm water in air tight container (We use a mason jar).  Mix well and let stand on counter all day.  That night, place in refrigerator.

TO FEED NEW STARTER:

Keep Starter in refrigerator until time to be fed.  Feed new starter for 1st time after anywhere from 5 to 7 days (wait 5 -7 days between feeding).  Starter must be fed at least once a week, after initial feeding.  It also must be kept in an air tight container such as a mason jar. 

TO FEED STARTER  &  TO  MAKE BREAD:

In the morning, remove starter from refrigerator and add ¾ cup of sugar, 5 TBSP instant potatoes and 1 cup warm water.  Mix well and let stand on counter all day.  That night, after stirring mixture well, remove one cup of starter and place in mixing bowl.  Return remaining starter (about 1 cup) to refrigerator in airtight container. 

With  starter in mixing bowl add 1/4 cup of sugar, ½ cup corn oil, 1 TBSP salt, 1 ½ cups warm water and 6 cups bread flour.  Mix with a wooden spoon well and place in another large greased mixing bowl.  Turn in bowl to get dough greasy.  Cover with saran wrap and leave on counter overnight to raise.  (Needs to raise at least 12 hours in warm space.)  The next morning, punch dough down and knead for a few minutes.  Divide into 3 equal parts and place in greased loaf pans.  Cover each pan with saran wrap and place in warn area on counter.  Let raise again all day.  That night remove saran wrap.  Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Brush tops with melted butter and immediately wrap in saran wrap.

Note:  If you feed the starter but are not going to make bread, remove one cup of starter (should have about 1 cup left, after removing 1 cup )  and give to a friend or discard it.  Starter must be feed every 5 to 7 days (wait 5 -7 days between feeding).

Enjoy!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for the detailed recipe. Will give it a try sometime.

Question - how long do you have to wait to start making bread after setting up the starter initially? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dldawes1
    caliking ...5-7 days.  At least 5...no more than 7.  This is also when the starter requires feeding.

It is very much worth the wait...

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Got it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Thanks for sharing. My wife and I are going to take a shot at it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sounds great!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2014
    Interesting.  Never saw it with instant potatoes or a mason jar.  We always used yeast, flour, water, sugar and milk.  Kept it at room temp in a ziplock bag so you could release the pressure from the fermentation.  Does the mason jar pressurize?
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    :-\" thanks buddy. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    Tjcoley ..I haven't noticed any pressure when opening any of the jars...that's exactly what I asked my wife when I first saw her do it !!!  Some yeast bread recipe she has does use the ziplocks.....don't know why this one is different...maybe just the person who gave it to her didn't have ziplocks ??????

I'll ask what she thinks when she gets in.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Maybe the Amish have more access to mason jars than ziplock bags.
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Thanks for the post
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian