Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size suckling pig for a LBGE???

Options
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find an answer - what is the largest sized suckling pig that can be done in a "large" BGE??? Ive ordered a 20lb'er, not sure if it will fit in my LBGE.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A 20 pounder should fit. However if it doesn't you can always remove the head and cook it separately. I know that's not what you are wanting to do, however if the egg is over crowded removing the head will gain you several inches of cooking space. Again I think it will fit with the head on but wanted to share the tip just in case my friend. A head cooks excellent on its own if you have to remove it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• greeneggmeister
    Options
    Thanks, phew!, its not easy to get whole pig, and I'm glad it's likely to fit, I'm obviously going to try to keep the head on. Ive gotten a few recipes that seem fab, they say its hard to get "suckling pig" wrong! 
     Will post results, and any learning tips. Thanks again folks!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Thanks, phew!, its not easy to get whole pig, and I'm glad it's likely to fit, I'm obviously going to try to keep the head on. Ive gotten a few recipes that seem fab, they say its hard to get "suckling pig" wrong! 
     Will post results, and any learning tips. Thanks again folks!

Standing by patiently for the finale and wishing you good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Can't wait to see your cook. Did you order online or somewhere local?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing (and seeing!) how this turns out. This is on my Egg bucket list - would love to do it this winter.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    Hey man when are you planning on doing this cook? I'm looking forward to the end result!
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • greeneggmeister
    Options
    Its a 17.5 pounder, Its brining :)))

Brine recipe (I use something similar for turkeys as well): 4 cups kosher salt, 4 cups vinegar, 6 cups of apple juice, 2 cups of brown sugar, some bay leafs/2tsp dry oregano/2 tsp dry rosemary/2tsp dry thyme/2tsp crushed pepper corn/few cloves of crushed garlic, 3 inches of crushed ginger, add 20 cups of water - 

I plan to brine it for a total of 36-40hrs, foil the feet/ears, then grill at 250F-300 for 4 hrs (also plan to throw in some applewood chunks), 400F-500F for the last 30 minutes.

I plan to start on thanksgiving at around 7am, I'll post pics both pre and post and any post advice as well. Wish me luck!
  • greeneggmeister
    Options
    BTW: I bought it locally from a country butcher, $eighty, shaved/cleaned/gutted, had to order it a week in advance.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You know it is not too early to start posting pictures of your progress, right?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Justacookin
    Options
    SGH put up a picture of the one you cooked please. Tried to find it put could not.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.