Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first sour dough!

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
So, I have been researching sour dough for a long time and finally found a teacher! We made the culture over a month ago using whole wheat flour and wild grape husks. We have converted it over to unbleached flour and made our first bread last night!

Prepped the loaves night before last.
1 cup starter
1/8 cup kosher salt
7 cups unbleached flour
Water to consistency

Then got my egg stabilized at about 475 and put on the first loaf. After about 20 minutes it looked like this!

Another 3-4 minutes on the egg and after about 20 minutes of resting we got this!

We had 3 people doing loaves. They other two peoples loaves ended up like this!

Flour, salt and water!!!!  We misted the egg anytime we opened the top (only opened once while cooking at the end to see if it was done)
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    "Mmmm....fresh baked bread.... " in my Homer Simpson drooling doughnut voice.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    Looks good, how about the taste?  Did you get the sourness that you were looking for?
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks Awesome!  I just ordered my SourDough culture from www.sourdo.com yesterday . . . cant wait to start.  Did you have much trouble getting your starter active and ready for dough? 

I am mostly focused on pizza dough, but I also got Ed Woods book "classic sourdoughs" and getting excited about the possibilities.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My first few loaves turned out like that, looks quite dense. I'm sure it was good but it looks like it could use more kneading and rising (rise could be affected by strength of your starter).
    Bread making is fun and I haven't purchased a sourdough loaf in months. I also prefer the Dutch oven method.
    Well done out the gate.
    Seattle, WA
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The flavor was spot on. Just a perfect hint of sour in the sour dough. Lots of nice air pockets. Perfectly crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. The weird looking loaf didn't fair quite as well as the other two. But it was still good, just more dense than it should be. The person who formed it folded it instead of working it.  We don't plan to adjust the recipe at all. Salt content was right, Just need to work on my forming and kneading skills so I get all the loaves to look like the first one. Also, I think my house was too cold so it didn't rise as much as it should have before going on the egg.

The starter wasn't bad, but I have an expert standing over my shoulder every step so I'm sure it would be much more difficult without his guidance. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very nice. Had my egg over a year and still haven't baked bread in it. I guess I need to get it going.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • VC_Outlaw
    Options
    Look great, nice job.
    How long will the starter keep ?
    Do you just keep adding to it each time you use it and keep it going ?
    Valley City, Ohio
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Nothing better than hot fresh bread my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    looks spectacular.  did it pick up much smoky flavor from the grill?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

blind99 said:
    looks spectacular.  did it pick up much smoky flavor from the grill?
    None actually. I used all new lump (made pizza last so it was empty anyhow) and I used Rockwood which puts off no real smoke.  It had no hint of smoked flavor. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    You going to have to teach me how to make bread some day. Still got your OO. Need to bring it to you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've had bread at the top of my "To Egg" list for quite a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Yours look awesome.  There is no comparison between homemade and store bought bread (unless it's direct from the bakery).  Do you pull bread based on time or internal temperature?  If IT - what temp?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I did it based on sound from the "thump"  but i understand you can pull bread at 190-210 internal.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Cool.  Never knew you could thump a loaf like watermelon.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gator_egger
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Awesome. Now I have to try it. :-w
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thatgrimguy... I just read your post. Your bread looks great. I've been baking my sourdough bread on my large BGE for a couple of years. This is my method and you may want to give it a try sometime. I elevate my pizza stone to above the felt line. Higher elevation will maximize the airflow. I preheat the egg, stone and stainless steel mixing bowl to 500 degrees. With the daisy wheel off. The mixing bowl is used to trap the steam inside the bowl. Right before you put your loaf on the stone, score it and then use your mister to squirt lots of water on it. Put it on the stone, put the mixing bowl over the loaf and close the lid. Let it bake under the bowl for the first 20 minutes. Open your lid and take the bowl off and turn your heat down to about 465 degrees. Watch your bread through the top vent while it is cooking for color. At some point you will need to open the lid and rotate the loaf 180 degrees so it cooks and browns evenly. https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/9180186130/ I learned the mixing bowl trick from a website about sourdough but they didn't use BGE's they were kitchen bakers. It works really good for me. Here's a picture of some of the bread I baked in the BGE using the mixing bowl method. https://www.flickr.com/photos/food_pictures/8991726160/