Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Serious Eats' cooking turkey with baking steel in oven = cooking in egg without platesetter ?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,527
edited November 2014 in Poultry
Anyone wants to be a guinea turkey?

I found this article very interesting:

Coincidentally I ran into an egghead friend (hey you know who you are if you're reading this!) recently, he hasn't posted in a long time. He mentioned that his best turkey cook was done without platesetter and no ice bag trick needed. The rationale being the unobstructed heat from below gives the legs and back a jump start over the breast.  IMO that's equivalent to having the baking steel below the pan in Serious Eats' experiment above. I suppose one must make sure the temp doesn't get too high and the pan is not dry though?

I plan to try this for my next turkey cook, just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to have a jump start on me!
canuckland

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Interesting for sure. Just proves when you think that you have seen it all, someone throws a curve ball at you. Thanks for sharing.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I go one easer. Direct at 400.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Interesting...I have another idea to replicate Kenji's setup in the egg. You would need 2 eggs of identical size though...

Preheat Egg 1 to 550* with platesettter legs up. Stabilize Egg 2 at 300*. Prep turkey according to his instructions in a V-rack on a sheet pan. Move 550* plate setter to Egg 2 and place pan with turkey directly on plate setter with no spacers.

Hmmm...maybe an excuse to add another XL to my family? :D Nah...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @SGH - thanks but the jury is still out!

@Mickey - care to elaborate please? unless you're thinking your favourite/famous spatchcock direct, if it's whole turkey with a pan (need that to catch juice for gravy) it's still technically indirect even sans platesetter, no?

@DMW - good luck! swmbo may tell you to preheat the platesetter in the kitchen box though :) 
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Canugghead‌ No pan ever. If I want juice for dressing just roast necks and wings for juice with a pan.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @Canugghead‌ No pan ever. If I want juice for dressing just roast necks and wings for juice with a pan.
    ya, but that's extra work.  I'm a 'genius', how did I know you were thinking spatchcock  :\"> :D;)
    canuckland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just my $.02 but I don't think that going direct would give you quite the same effect. Using the baking steel in the oven I would think there would be much less radiant/direct heat as compared to on the egg over burning lump.  I think if you cook direct the entire time you are likely to burn the bottom of the bird, unless you go spatchcock.  The article states that spatchcock is still the best bet, but the point of the article is how to achieve the desired results without spatching the bird.  

I think the whole point of his setup was to ensure the oven was hotter on the bottom than on the top. I think this would be difficult to reproduce on the egg.  I think the best bet would be to employ another solution such as icing the breast, or flip the bird over half way through cooking.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.