Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basting cloth for turkey

Options
Anyone ever do a turkey using a basting cloth like Michael Symon?  Cheesecloth soaked in melted butter, broth, seasonings and draped over the bird while it cooks?  Sounds interesting.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nope. Used to use a brown paper bag that had been buttered inside. That was in the oven days.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Wow that brings back memories! I remember my Mother tried that one time when I was a kid. She just used an old thin dishtowel, but I recall it stuck to and ripped the finished skin in spots and that upset her that it wasn't picture perfect!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Options
    I tried it once and really saw no advantage. Keep it moist and it won't stick. The cheese cloth is what I tried.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not familiar with that one, but I just read about apl's edible basting brush yesterday. Don't know why since his cooks involve way too many steps (and ingredients) for me to ever mess with. Anyway, here's his basic Board Dressing with a link to his basting brush. Baste with it, then chop it up and add to the dressing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have only heard of this, never seen it - thanks for the link, that's my learned something today item. 

In the egg, seems to me the reflected dome heat is a bit more intense than the big white clock in the kitchen. I've had to foil egged birds to keep the skin from drying too much regardless of how much I basted them, while oven turkeys needed only the basting. 

In the egg this might work like a hot damn or it might just epoxy the cloth to the bird. Will leave it to you to try it and report back. Thanks for the link - very interesting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I did it once and decided it didn't help in any way.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• audrey12
    audrey12 Posts: 1
    Options
    When considering a basting cloth for turkey, opt for durability and heat resistance in custom clothing labels. Incorporate your brand logo for personalized recognition.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    I have done it for 40 years.  Perfect Turkey every time.  Soak a bar towel in olive oil.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Should we be concerned if our resident bots start their own threads and posting comments among themselves??

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk