Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi Frozen Lamb Chops - Reverse Sear to the Rescue

Options
Ragtop99
Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
edited November 2014 in Lamb
I took some lamb chops out to defrost, but they didn't fully defrost by the time I was ready to cook.  Parts of them were soft to the touch, but other parts were hard.  I set up my medium for raised direct and let it heat up to 250* and place the chops so they were standing up on the T-bone.  I put them toward the outside of the egg so they were not direct over the fire, which was mainly centered on a big chuck of mesquite that was left from roasting peppers.  I started checking them after 20 minutes with the thermapen and pulled off any that reached 115*.  I just let them sit, no foil or anything so the early ones cooled a bit.  After the last chop was off, I opened it for a reverse sear at 600*.  

This work really well.  I'm glad I did this rather than hot tubbing them.  They came out with a deep red, almost burgundy color, prior to sear.Medium Rare center after the sear.  The photo color is off a bit, but gives an idea.  

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.