Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatch Turkey - Rub under skin with or without butter ?

Options
SmokyBear
SmokyBear Posts: 389
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hey, gang..

Trying my first Spatch Turkey and want to add some DP (probably Raging River) on half and copycat Bells Poultry mix made from dried herbs on the other.

Should I add the DP under the skin without any butter or EVOO? 

I've seen people add herbs to either unsalted butter (or some plus EVOO) at room temp then put that under the skin..so, will probably try that with the Bells copycat on the one half..

What should I do with the DP Raging River?  Just rub it under the skin?  Or mix it up with a little butter and / or EVOO and rub the mix under the skin?  (I'll probably also dust the skin with Raging River..already have the "test run" turkey for the big day spatch'd and drying out in the fridge to cook tomorrow nite).

TIA for any/all help.  We LOVE Spatch Chick and going to do the Gobbler at 400 raised direct for about 90 min (cook to temp - 160 breast and 180 thigh).

- S
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Any herbs under the skin is a good thing. I mix up some melted butter with rub and suck it up in my injector and stick the needle under the skin and shoot it under the skin. It seems to work for me. Spatch turkey is great and thankfully my family doesn't concern themselves with the way it looks on the table
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos