Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Legs

Options
Got to do about 30 chicken legs for supper tonight and have never done them on large Egg before.  Plan on doing them similar to how I do wings.  Looking at running platesetter legs up, grate, and run about 400-450 dome.  Don't have all the raised grates, multi level grates, or other special setups.  Suspect they will take about an hour, flipping once about half way through.  Not sure if I can fit all 30 on a large with this config so may have to use my Weber kettle indirect to help out.  Does this sound like a viable plan or are adjustments required?  Thanks.
Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
Cobourg, Ontario

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Watch the legs out at the edges carefully for scorching. You might want to protect them with some foil.  Also, do you use a drip pan with a little water to collect the grease? My last similar cook I made a greasy smoky mess with drippings on the hot plate setter. Send us a pic to show how many you get on there!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I planned on being carefull with the outside edges to prevent burning.  I usually move the wings on the outside in to the centre at the half way flip.  Lesson learned on wings:)  I usually don't use a water filled drip pan although I have in the past.  I just wrap my platesetter with tin foil for easier cleanup. 
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I did the tinfoil wrap once with wings and legs and managed to start a grease fire!  Just my luck!  Makes for a nasty, sooty film on the meat :(

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Can you make a 2nd tier? You can always compress them and place the knuckle end next to the meaty end to fit the in (alternate them) and you will be fine
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Depending on the kettle grid size, you could make a second raised grid using it and three carriage bolts and some fender washers. I did that with my CharBroil smoker grid, works great.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    At 450* they should take less than an hour if the egg and platesetter are up to temp when you put them on. Weber is a solid option, but they may all fit if you are carefully in the placement.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have done 3doz legs and thighs on my XL direct with no problems.  temp was ~450-ish not sure if the large with its smaller diameter is more or less difficult to do...