Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Goofy Gasket Mistake

OK you EggHeaders, here's a challenge for you.  Thinking that I applied my gasket correctly, I closed the lid and let it stand for 24 hours.  Ooops, and I mean OOOOOPS.  I can't open the grill now.  I'm guessing that there was sticky residue on either the top or bottom that got stuck to the other side.  Thoughts?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    What type of gasket did you install?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Green Egg label gasket.  Peel the tape off and apply.
  • WeberWho
    Must be their Nomex gasket. Can you run a utility blade between the gasket?
    If you mess it up I'd go Rutland for your next gasket.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I'd start over and use a Rutland.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Get the old fish filet knife out and go to town. You should be able to work it between the gasket with minimal damage

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Really odd question but is it cold enough where your at for it to be froze shut?? Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I am in the Chicago area and the temp is around freezing. Do you think that's a possibility?

Thx for the feedback folks. Go Badgers.
  • WeberWho

I am in the Chicago area and the temp is around freezing. Do you think that's a possibility?

Thx for the feedback folks. Go Badgers.

Has it rained lately with it being below freezing temps? You can put a starter cube or a few pieces of lump through the bottom vent and heat the egg enough to see if the gasket will release. Go Gophers!

Minnesota
  • I am in the Chicago area and the temp is around freezing. Do you think that's a possibility? Thx for the feedback folks. Go Badgers.
    Howdy neighbor - I'm in Glenview - Mine froze shut last night, dropped a piece of lit lump in the top stack and it opened right up.  Might want to try it before you go to town with the filet knife.
  • I dealt with the same thing last night. It was -10*F the night before preceded by some freezing rain. I simply lit a few chunks of lump in my chimney starter and used a pair of tongs to drop them through the top vent. Then I put the ceramic damper tipped to the side so air could still flow but still hold in some heat. Five minutes later the lid opened like it was the spring opener at Target Feild. By the way I think it sucks we've already had three night in a row of below zero temps, deer season isn't even done yet.
  • You forum contributors are rock stars!  I put some lump coal on the grid, started it, the dome got warm, and poof, the dome opened.  Yay!  I don't recall having a frozen lid the past few years.  Do you think this was a function of the new gasket and cold weather?  Asked another way, do I need to put some sort of separator between the lid and the grill during the cold months?  Didn't have to in the past ...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    When it is really cold I put a piece of wax paper between the dome and base.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Prop it open with a wine cork
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    That's what they make covers for.