Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey score.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
If anyone is interested, Walmart has turkeys on sale. Just picked up two 24.97 pounders for 19 bucks a piece. 50 pounds of bird for under 40 bucks. Not to bad. Just thought I would share as I thought it was a good deal. The closer the holidays get, the higher they get so I went ahead and jumped on a couple of them. Going to try one on the mini ;)
imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Great Buy, will you brine these?
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @Grillmagic‌
    These will get a very heavy melted butter injection only. These are for a test before Thanksgiving. One of my wife's coworkers is in the hospital and won't be out for the holidays. I volunteered to smoke turkeys for her family and these are a trial run just to see.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Great Buy, will you brine these?
    I wouldn't, look under 'with gravy packet', it says 'containing approximately 12% of a solution to ensure success'?

Nice score @SGH, in my neck of the woods the lowest price before canuck thanksgiving was $0.79 but that was not for basted, it was 'utility' grade, meaning it could be missing a limb or torn skin in a highly visible area 
    :D
    canuckland
  • SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Canugghead‌
    Good eye my friend. Hence the butter injection only.

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Canugghead‌ Good eye my friend. Hence the butter injection only.
    haha, I just zoomed in, it actually says '...to enhance juciness', not '.... to enhance success'  :\">
    canuckland
  • SGH
    Options
    @Canugghead‌
    But you caught what was important. "Enhanced".

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've brined and not brined. I think I read somewhere that if the label says they are in solution, that is a brined bird and you're good to go. It's good to get confirmation of what I thought I knew.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Great score man. Besides the butter injection what else are you doing to them?
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I also seen the enhanced notice and was wondering your thoughts on brining. For years I brined Butterballs that were also/already enhanced and the always came out Great, it wasn't until I joined this site that I learned that you should not brine a bird that already had been enhanced. Its hard to find Turkeys in my local stores that have not been processed this way. PS all the enhanced birds I have brined in the past have come out great so I am not sure what to think on this.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    So when's the trial run?
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    Probably Saturday.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    When they say "enhanced" this means that they have been mechanically injected with a saline solution. These birds do not require any farther brining. However the only issue with farther brining is that they may be to salty for some. Other than this, no harm at all if you want to brine them. However I find that they are good "as is" and so I merely inject them with melted butter.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Grillin_beers‌
    Probably just a simple salt, pepper and cayenne rub.

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I look forward to seeing your cook this weekend!
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    I look forward to seeing your cook this weekend!

Brother Fred, I'm toying with the idea of doing one on the egg and one on the offset just as a side by side comparison.

Status- Standing by.

• Rickl
    Rickl Posts: 23
    Options
    Does anyone know how Walmart employees' wages and benefits compare to those of Costco?  I don't think this has ever been discussed on this forum.
  • SGH
    Options
    Rickl said:
    Does anyone know how Walmart employees' wages and benefits compare to those of Costco?  I don't think this has ever been discussed on this forum.

I don't even have a guess.

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Rickl‌ Costco employees make like $20 an hour. I read an article in the journal about it not long ago. I have no idea why you are asking that here though.....
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Funny, I got two for our Thanksgiving at $0.79/lb. Deboned a 25 lb. bird and a 12 lb. Stuffed the small one with all the dark meat and the big one with the white. It wasn't till I thawed the dammit things that I found they were the damaged in processing ones.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Have you every fried them @SGH‌? My brother-in law does them and very tasty. Unfortunately my wife doesn't like them this way. She did say that I could try to Egg one and then perhaps next Thanksgiving give it a go.....that's as good as I get after 26 years....
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌- Yes sir, we fry them pretty regular. I love fried turkey. When I do fry them, I try to limit them to no more than 15 pounds. The 15 pounders and smaller just seem to fry much better than the larger ones.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I was hoping you had them because I knew you'd like them if you did. Yeah, my brother-in law usually cooks a few. I love Thanksgiving with family.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I scored with a turkey one time but that's another story entirely.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

If time permits, I would love to hear it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌- I actually have my big pot sitting on the burner of Unit #6 just in case I decide to fry one. You never know brother.

Status- Standing by.

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    SGH said:

shtgunal3 said:

=))

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    shtgunal3 said:

=))

Still waiting on that story my friend :-?

Status- Standing by.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    DAYUM!!! That is an EGGcellent deal!
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Rickl said:
    You can probably find out on the Walmart/Costco Forum.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I cooked a 20 pound turkey on my medium and it just fit have fun putting on you mm :D
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now