Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

23lb Game Day Turkey

1st of all, is like to say you folks are awesome. Your experience and humor are outstanding. @SGH‌ @hapster‌ and countless others impress me with every single cook.

I want a low and slow cook, (for the fun of it) but I don't want sacrifice taste or all that just for fun. What are yalls suggestions?
Huntsville, Al LBGE

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    2 questions my friend. Do you prefer to cook it whole or spatchcocked? And are open to brining and injecting?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• If considering brining, make sure you buy one that has not already been brined.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I'm doing about a 15 pound turkey spatchcock for thanksgiving if it's not to cold.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Brining of course.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Never spatchcocked a Turkey. But, my bride has informed me that's what she wants. So, that's happening at our home too.

I'm thinking raised direct, S&P + some dry herbs. Using RW lump w/ cherry and pecan wood at 375℉-400℉.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Central_Bama_Egger‌ I did a fresh turkey this weekend. Brined overnight, herb/butter rub under the skin, olive oil and kosher salt on the skin. Cook indirect at 350-400. It was a 13-15 ln bird and was done in about two hours or so. I didn't add smoke wood but a little light smoke is nice. Avoid mesquite unless you want very pronounced smoke flavor. Very delicious. I posted pics in a thread a few days ago.

I do a homemade gravy, loosely based on a Ina Garten recipe I can give you, if interested.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH said:

2 questions my friend. Do you prefer to cook it whole or spatchcocked? And are open to brining and injecting?

@SGH‌ It truly doesn't matter. The only other one i did. I brined. Didn't inject. Just want the best tasting. Just trying to give me an excuse to not do much else than cook. And well, drink.

@blind99‌ - I've been keeping up with your bird. Looked fantastic. I may just do your version. Maybe I'll make the gravy on thanksgiving. Probably sandwiches for this one.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @central_bama_egger thanks for the compliment!  I think the most important thing is not to overcook the bird.  Everything else you can adapt to your style.  Be sure to update us on how it all goes!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    @Central_Bama_Egger‌- Brother I have several different ways that I do them. It will take considerable time to type them up. But I will post them later tonight for you when time allows my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• That's not a problem. No rush @SGH‌ As I have all week. I will do some more research and come back with some more direct questions for you guys.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • @sgh where do you live? If i may ask. And what about @henapple‌ where are you from?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SGH
    @sgh where do you live? If i may ask. And what about @henapple‌ where are you from?

I live just this side of Biloxi, Mississippi my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Aaaah. Ok.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SGH
    Aaaah. Ok.

I have a place on the Ms/Al line as well. 12 miles west of Mobile International Airport.

Status- Standing by.

• Oh ok. The gulf coast is my most favorite place in the world. I hope to move down that way after the kids grow up.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SGH
    Oh ok. The gulf coast is my most favorite place in the world. I hope to move down that way after the kids grow up.

Come on down brother, we will be glad to have you.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

@sgh where do you live? If i may ask. And what about @henapple‌ where are you from?

In the Boro outside of Nashville.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Now, if my oldest had it her way, she'd want to be in Nashville.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • I'm just assuming a 23lb bird will not fit spatched on my LBGE? Is that a safe assumption?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    I tried a low and slow with a turkey breast awhile back and it was dry...not over cooked according to temp.  Was advised that there's not enough fat in turkey breast for low and slow method to work.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Ladeback69
    itsmce said:
    I tried a low and slow with a turkey breast awhile back and it was dry...not over cooked according to temp.  Was advised that there's not enough fat in turkey breast for low and slow method to work.

I was told that going low an slow below say 250 the bird can be mushy. I haven't tired it, bit I have had chicken cooked around 275 and high that just fine. I've also done chicken a few difference ways on the egg and it has never come out dry. You really need to monitor it when it gets close to being done. I did legs, theighs and breast on my XL last night at 400 inderect. The best took The longest at about 28 minutes and the legs where done at about 18 minutes. The weather changed just as I started and I am not sure if that affected the cook or not. Temp dropped 20° and the wind picked way up.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Well, my Bro-in-law (whom I was cooking for) is getting off Saturday. So my egging plans have changed. Gonna be cooking on a stick burner.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SGH
    Well, my Bro-in-law (whom I was cooking for) is getting off Saturday. So my egging plans have changed. Gonna be cooking on a stick burner.

When I cook them on a stick burner I run them from 275-300 degrees with excellent results. For the record, the skin will not be as crisp as when cooking them on other units at 350 and higher. On the other hand the ones cooked on the stick burner have the true clean smoked flavor that you are looking for. I'm fixing to run a 25 pounder myself on Unit #6. Target cooking temp will be 275-300 as usual.

Status- Standing by.

• This is funny, I obviously overlooked my notifications. Was about to ask you what temp you run. You had already told. Thanks @SGH‌.

You shoot for 160 in the breast?
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • SGH
    This is funny, I obviously overlooked my notifications. Was about to ask you what temp you run. You had already told. Thanks @SGH‌. You shoot for 160 in the breast?

On birds under 15 pounds I will pull them around 157 degrees when measured in the thickest part of the breast. Carry over cooking will bring them on up into the low 160's. On birds over 15 pounds I will run them on up a hair to 160-162 degrees. Why? Just the sheer thermal mass absorbs more of the heat so I feel the few extra degrees are both justified and warranted. Hope that this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• I took it off at 165* was a good turkey.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Temp will continue to rise when removed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON