Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My old work bench for bbq table.

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited November 2014 in EGG Table Forum
This wood has been on our workbench at our family business since 1912. We closed the shop down last month so I'm saving things that are sentimental to me. I'm having the table frame and legs and drawers powder coated. I think about the amount of jobs that my dad worked with on this table. he worked at the shop from the age of 17 until he was 87 years old. I'm so glad I can save the table and put it to good use. It means a lot to me.
I refinished the wood myself. As you can tell this table got a lot of use through the years it even burned a little but it adds to the character.
I plan on using it next to both my big green eggs as my BBQ table.
I'll post more pictures when I get it back together and completed.
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother that's just awesome. 1912, that's just unreal. If it's not being to nosy, what was the business? Whatever it was it's sad to hear of it closing after all these years.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @SGH Yes it is sad. The businesses has been my family since 1912 it's new orleans plating and polishing works. We offered polishing and lacquering and plating on gold, brass, copper, nickel, chrome and silver.
    during the last 20 years we scaled the business down to basically polishing and lacquering. being located in the heart of the CBD of New Orleans we were approached by a developer who wants to build a hotel. My brother and I dissused and signed an agreement to purchase. Unfortunately a few days after the signing my brother unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack. After that happen, I decided to just close the business and move on to another chapter in my life.
    Some life changing events. I will make the best of it.

New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @TigerTony‌
    I'm certainly sorry to hear the sad news my friend. I wish you the very best in the future.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    That is a Treasure........Most everything I have in my Eggin Spot has the same sentimental value
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    What a nice way to honor and carry on memories.I am cooking on an inherited egg, my dad passed away last June and I honor his memory on every cook, he loved and has cooked on the Kamado style pots since the 1950's, when he was stationed in Japan, he has had one ever since I have been alive.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Awesome looking and very bada$$ table top. I'd love to find something like that around here!

Hate the bit about your brother..... Peace be with you!

Say hello to my buddy Lauren LeBlanc at Fleurty Girl if you see her shops around!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• TigerTony
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @DaveRichardson‌ Fleurty Girl is my "can't go wrong shop" that I buy my wife and three daughters their Christmas gifts from every year. Bought them all boots from there last year. It was a big hit!

Thanks I'm excited to complete the table
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's an awesome heritage, story and you'll be able to truly honor this heritage with the final product of an epic egg table. Look forward to her unveiling and maiden cook.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Dis gonna be awsome.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Super cool B-)
    Jacksonville FL
  • TigerTony
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Check this out! I'm real excited about restoring this very old oven that they would use as a drying oven in our shop to dry pieces after they were lacquered.
    Will soon clean blast it with crushed walnut shells then scratch brush polish and coat it with clear od lacquer.
    When it's finished I plan on using it to store my cast iron pans and dutch ovens, and other accessories. I plan on mounting it somewhere near the work bench table.
    Wish I had a better picture.
    New Orleans

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    That is so cool that you have saved that work bench! I'll bet it has blood, sweat and tears embedded let alone covered with countless stories! Talk about family heritage in wood - that is it! BRAVO for you for saving it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    Thank You Guys! Closing the business is like another death to me. I know in my heart that the decision to close and not relocate is the right one. You have know idea how difficult a time I had watching things that my dad, my brother and myself worked with all through the years be removed from the building. The building it's self is historic it was built in the early 1800 ~1810.
    I kept ots of antique items, tools, machines, furniture etc.... We had a old Gunn roll-top deck that we used in our shop since day one. I'm giving that to my nephew my brothers son. Everything I look at from my shop brings back memories. In fact I'm sitting next to our old wooden file cabinet that my wife and I restored. I just couldn't part with it.
    The stuff from the shop that I just couldn't keep a movie set company from Slidell LA came in and bought all the items from me. It was so hard to let go, but I'm not looking back.
    It's forward from here on out.
    I'll post more pics as I complete 
    New Orleans

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @TigerTony That's awesome, good for you honoring your family in that way. Sorry about the circumstances...prayers to you.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Options
    That table is sweet!