Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Reverse Sear Steak

Options

After reading all the raves about reverse searing, I decided to give ér a try tonight. Some of the photos are a little sloppy, but that's what happens when one too many four roses single barrel is involved.

I rubbed the 1 1/3 inch rib eye with dizzy pig's red eye express on top of olive oil while the lump was starting (below).

I have a pswoo2, which holds a plate setter and also has a spider attachment on the bottom. I set it up for indirect (about 275-300 degrees) and cooked the beef to 115. During the entire time I had a cast iron grid on the spider sitting just above the coals so it was getting good and hot.

I removed the steak, pulled the plate setter and upper grid and opened up the vents. It only took about 5 minutes for the cast iron grid on the spider to be ready for searing since it was so close to the coals.

I seared about a minute per side until it reached 125 degrees, then pulled the steak to rest.

Here it is below plated. Presentation isn't the best (although it seemed like it at the time), but the ribeye was.

I'll be using this method more often.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments