Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question regarding temperature probes............

Options
I am planning to smoke whole turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have had my XL BGE since May so this will be my first attempt with whole turkey. Can anyone recommend a temperature probe or alarm for me. I currently use a Thermopen for boston butts, chicken, steaks, etc.Thanks in advance for any advice............

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    If you want a remote probe for both the meat, and the grill, I have been using the maverick 732 .
    Just keep the probe ends out of water, and the temps under 400 and you should be good to go. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    +1 on my first turkey this Thanksgiving.

I don't have any remote thermometers or probes I can run past my gasket - I plan to use the time and temperature chart on the turkey wrapper and treat it just like I would if it were in the oven instead. As far as I can tell so far, indirect cooking outside is exactly the same as cooking in my oven, except everything tastes better coming in from the egg. 

Poke it once or twice with my instant read and take it off when I get to 155f. 

That's the plan anyway. Treating my egg like an outdoor oven. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I really like my iGrill. It charts the whole cook for me and sends everything to my iPhone or iPad in real time over bluetooth. I'm sure everyone has there own opinions but I like that I can stick a probe in the breasts and 1 in the thigh so I know they are both done.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I really like my iGrill. It charts the whole cook for me and sends everything to my iPhone or iPad in real time over bluetooth. I'm sure everyone has there own opinions but I like that I can stick a probe in the breasts and 1 in the thigh so I know they are both done.

Brother beers I just saw those on sale for 19 bucks at Lowes. Should I jump on it? Your honest opinion on them please.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options

They only had the minis left. They were sold out of the regular size. But all the same 19 bucks seems like a steal.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I like my maverick 733.  19 bucks for another remote seems pretty good - replacement probes alone for the igrill cost that much.  by the way, some of the probes for the igrill were recalled last month:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/iDevices-Recalls-Temperature-Probes/

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @SGH‌ I paid $100 for my full sized one. I don't have any experience with the mini but I'm sure its a great product. I really do love my iGrill.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    +1 on maverick new probes good to 700, but for $19 you'd be hard pressed to go wrong my friend
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @SGH for $19 im going to pick one up. I will say the only thing is I only get 40 hours of use before I have to change the batteries. Besides that I don't really have any complaints. Sorry for my brevity but I'm on my phone so it's hard to give you long answers.

• SGH
    Options
    @Grillin_beers‌
    No problem brother beers. I'm going to Lowes tonight to pick up one of the minis.

Status- Standing by.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @sgh I hope you like it friend. I'm going to go pick one up too. If nothing else I'll give it as a xmas gift to someone.

• TNHokie69
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments..........