Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for turkey breast ideas

Options
I have done the Mad Max turkey the last 2 years for Thanksgiving, and have gotten rave reviews. This year I want to try something different. I like Ray Lampe's idea of doing 2 turkey breasts with different flavors/styles. What have you guys and gals done that would be interesting?

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like to inject them with melted butter and rub them with cayenne. Sort of my version of Cajun turkey. They are actually quite good. The butter injection is simply awesome. I have a post of one if you are interested.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I need a basic "how to do it" for a 12.5 Turkey breast

Just a good ol' fashioned cook

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:

I need a basic "how to do it" for a 12.5 Turkey breast

Just a good ol' fashioned cook

Here is one I did quite some time back. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166544/my-go-to-cajun-turkey-set-up#latest

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options

I like your idea @SGH. Do you inject pure butter, or do you mix some of the rub in with the butter?

As a side note, I bought some of that Tony Chacheres cajun injection butter once and injected it in a chicken. Awful stuff, just awful. Tasted like bad movie popcorn butter in a chicken.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • SGH
    Options

I like your idea @SGH. Do you inject pure butter, or do you mix some of the rub in with the butter?

As a side note, I bought some of that Tony Chacheres cajun injection butter once and injected it in a chicken. Awful stuff, just awful. Tasted like bad movie popcorn butter in a chicken.

i have done it both ways my friend. However I prefer to mix some rub in with the melted butter. Especially if I'm going for a spicy profile.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    Options
    I am looking for a more traditional smoked breast....Bbbbbrrrrreeeeaaaaassssssttttiiss

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    I am looking for a more traditional smoked breast....Bbbbbrrrrreeeeaaaaassssssttttiiss

Are you wanting a low and slow method or just a different flavor profile? I may be able to help either way.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    Options

@SGH

L&S..with a smokey juicy profile..

Thanks

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:

@SGH

L&S..with a smokey juicy profile..

Thanks

Let me give it a shot brother. For just a traditional turkey, season with salt and pepper inside and out. Instead of injecting the bird with melted butter, paint the bird down with the melted butter before applying your salt/pepper rub. Quarter a lemon and place inside the cavity of the bird. From there it's pretty much straight forward. Cook the bird indirect over whatever wood you prefer. I'm real fond of cherry or Apple on poultry. Oak and pecan work like a charm as well. That's kind of your choice as far as the smoke profile. Cook indirect at 225 degrees until the breast registers 160 degrees in the most massive part and the thighs hit 180 degrees. As a rough guide you will be looking at 1 and 1/2 hours per pound, give or take a little. A word of warning. When cooking at this low of a temp, the skin is usually gummy instead of crisp. However ther is a way around this. When the breast hits 150 degrees internally, blast the heat up to 375 degrees to finish the bird. This will crisp up the skin. Also the bird will have done spent countless hours under heavy smoke so you will not affect the out come with the high heat finish. I also recommend wrapping the turkey in a wet cheese cloth for the low and slow part. When ready to finish with the high heat, remove the cheese cloth and then crank up the heat. The cheese cloth is not a must, but it certainly is a want. If this isn't what you are looking for I will gladly try again my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    Options
    Thanks that is egg-actly what I am looking for.

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    Options
    @bcsnave‌
    Glad to help my friend. I do have several alternative methods as well, but the one above is both straight forward and simple and produces very good results. I hope that you enjoy it.

Status- Standing by.