Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili question

Options
So, I made first batch of chili this past weekend (first chili cook of any kind, BGE or otherwise). Before we begin, yes, it did have beans in it (SWMBO insisted), so let's not have that discussion here. I researched several recipes/techniques before I started and picked what I liked from a few. The final product was very tasty (a touch spicy for the wife, but not too bad), however it was the cause of some minor intestinal explosions. I'll list the ingredients below, and if anyone can help me make a less explosive batch,it would be appreciated. 2lbs ground chuck (corse grind) 1lb hot Italian sausage 3 pieces of bacon 2 green peppers 1 onion 2 jalapeño peppers ZingZang Bloody Mary mix 2 cans Rotel 1 small can garlic roasted tomatoes 2 cups beef broth 1 can kidney beans in chili sauce Spices (chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayanne pepper, cocoa powder, cinnamon). Bay leaf It might have been the chili powder. The recipe I went with called for 4 tables of chili powder which seemed to be awful lot. For a 5qt chili, how much should I have used. I'd like to do another batch, but I don't want to spend the weekend on the toilet. Thanks in advance for any advice, and here's a pic of the final product.
Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Cut down on the heat.  I have the same problem, my mouth and stomach can handle far more heat than the rest of the digestive tract.  If you are experiencing explosive diahrhea, that is your intestines saying "we don't want this spicy crap in us, get it out now".  Another option, eat less chili, and eat it with lots of dairy and some form of starchy food (rice, potatoes, pasta), this will mellow it out in your digestive tract.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i probably would drop the rotels and go for regular tomatoes, i dont use jalepenos any more, i use dried anchos, passilla, and new mexico chilis and remove the ones with the hard shiny skin after the cook. i use cayenne but just a dusting. 4 tbls chili isnt too much, how much cayenne did you use, ive got some super hot cayenne thats dangerous
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You know you're not supposed to put beans in chili.......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try them on my next batch. I didn't use all that much cayanne. Maybe a tsp full, if that. I used the jalapeños because I had a couple on hand that didn't get turned into ABT's on Halloween. We also served it with cheese over rice. It's funny, because we regularly eat spicy foods (the last round of Buffalo Chicken Dip with Anchor Bar Suicide Sauce packed quite a kick) and it's never bothered us.
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Oh, were the beans canned or did you start with dry beans?  Here is some interesting info I googled.  The Cut & paste below is from nutritionfacts.org

I recently heard that the reason humans produce gas after eating beans is because they contain raffinose which is a starch that is poorly digested due to a lack of the enzyme galactosidase. The MD claimed that adding baking soda to the soaking liquid reduced the raffinose. Have you heard anything about this?

Vegan Epicurean / Originally posted on Beans and Gas: Clearing the Air

Answer:

Yes indeed, research dating back more than 25 years (“Effect of Processing on Flatus-Producing Factors in Legumes“) found that adding baking soda to the soak water of dried beans before cooking (about 1/16 teaspoon per quart) significantly decreases the content of the raffinose family of sugars.

The study I profile here in Beans and Gas: Clearing the Air that concluded “People’s concerns about excessive flatulence from eating beans may be exaggerated” used canned beans, though, which I find to be much more convenient. If you have the time, though, it’s hard to imagine a better nutritional bargain than dried beans, peas, and lentils.

• EgginATL42
    Options
    @Zmokin‌ the beans were canned. I believe they were Bush's kidney beans in chili sauce.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I wonder of putting some baking soda in the chili would help with the gas?
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try them on my next batch. I didn't use all that much cayanne. Maybe a tsp full, if that. I used the jalapeños because I had a couple on hand that didn't get turned into ABT's on Halloween. We also served it with cheese over rice. It's funny, because we regularly eat spicy foods (the last round of Buffalo Chicken Dip with Anchor Bar Suicide Sauce packed quite a kick) and it's never bothered us.
    Here are two possibilities:  A mild case of salmonella or other food poisoning from the fresh veggies you used, or maybe it was something you ate afterwards that your body decided to rid itself of and it had to expunge everything ahead of it in the pipeline.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow! You made it all the way to adult hood and never made a batch of chili? And still haven't? Nice bath of bean and beef bake ya got there. The beans probably made it explosive. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    After reading the problem, then reading that a picture of the final results was next....I was afraid to look !!!!!!  But it wasn't the porcelain pony...so the chili looked awesome !!!

I can't really help...I've got a cast iron stomach that nothing in 53 years has been able to penetrate...so good luck, maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks for posting, chili looked great,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Good idea on not using that much cayanne. Switch the jalapeños to poblanos and remove the seeds. You mentioned canned beans. Sometimes the sauce will be either hot or mild. Check to see which ones you used. You can also switch out the sausage to a milder version. My wife really likes the addition of sour cream and cheddar cheese. That will help tune down the heat. I agree with others though. The intestinal problems could have come from other sources; the meat or the veggies.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Most food poisoning will not show up for at least 24 hours.
    I Say make it the exact same way and invite the in-laws over for dinner and see what happens. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    CHILI MAKE HULK ANGRY.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Most food poisoning will not show up for at least 24 hours. I Say make it the exact same way and invite the in-laws over for dinner and see what happens. :D
    From WebMD:

After eating tainted food, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting, can start as early as one hour in the case of staph and as late as 10 days in the case of campylobacter.