Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

curing salt

Options
Can anyone tell me if Mortons canning and pickling salt is going to be ok for curing things such as salmon, bacon, and jerky.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I believe you need pink curing salt...Academy Sport sells it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Devil, does it have nitrates in it? Morton's makes a curing salt called tender quick, I believe.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    You need Sodium Nitrate, AKA Instacure # 1 or Pink salt.

Lots of sources online, including Amazon.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    I will check if it has nitrates. It's not in front of me and my hands are full feeding a 6 week old.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I know some folks who make bacon with kosher salt, but I think the nitrates accelerate the process
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Morton's pickling salt is just table salt with a little different texture. I use Morton's Tender Quick for my meat curing.  You can also use Pink Salt as others have said. Around here, all the markets carry Tender Quick.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I bought the pickling salt and was hoping to use it but it sounds like I best get some pink salt.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Don't confuse nitrites with nitrates. For short cures like bacon you want nitrites (#1 Pink Salt), for long cures that will never be cooked you want nitrates (#2). Don't confuse either one of those with Morton's Tender Quick. The percentages of cure to salt are different. The differences can be calculated in to the recipe you are referencing, but if you are just reading a recipe, use what is specified. As mentioned earlier, the canning/pickling salt is not what you are looking for.

Here is a good article on #1 vs #2.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    sorry for the confusion, @dmw is correct. Nitrites, not nitrates...
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I think when I run out of pure Sodium Nitrite, I might switch over to using a curing salt.  But at the rate I use it, it could be many years before I get to that point.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Curing meat is done with a cure mix containing salt, sugar, and curing salt.  You need pink curing salt (Instacure 1) in the cure. For the salt, normally Kosher salt is used, but pickling/canning salt is fine instead, just measure it by weight.  

Search the web for Ruhlmans basic cure, it will give you a cure recipe you can use for almost anything. (17 g per lb of meat).  Here is a link to a cure calculator that will let you create a cure recipe based on the weight of your meat.  http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html.

For salmon and fish in general, you do not need curing salt, just a brine with salt, sugar, and spices.  PM me if you need a recipe for this, I will gladly share mine.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Shiff
    Options
    DMW said:
    Don't confuse nitrites with nitrates. For short cures like bacon you want nitrites (#1 Pink Salt), for long cures that will never be cooked you want nitrates (#2). Don't confuse either one of those with Morton's Tender Quick. The percentages of cure to salt are different. The differences can be calculated in to the recipe you are referencing, but if you are just reading a recipe, use what is specified. As mentioned earlier, the canning/pickling salt is not what you are looking for.

Here is a good article on #1 vs #2.

@DMW, I'm a little confused by what you wrote.  I use Tender Quick to cure briskets for making Pastrami. It has both nitrates and nitrites.  Why shouldn't I use it?  Perhaps you meant to say not to confuse it with Morton Pickling Salt?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Shiff
    Perhaps I could have been a bit more clear, but there may have been impediments to clear communication at that point in time. ;)

What I meant was there are differences between curing salts on the market.
    #1 - Salt + Nitrites
    #2 - Salt + Nitrates + Nitrates
    MTQ - I'm not sure on the breakdown
    Pure Nitrites

I was just wanting to raise awareness that they are not all the same and should not be used interchangeably without accounting for the differences in concentrations. If you have a recipe that calls for MTQ, use MTQ and not #1 Pink Salt unless you know how to re-calculate the recipe.

For long cures, Nitrates need to be included. Over time, the nitrates break down into nitrites, almost like a time release.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Shiff
    Options
    OK, now I understanbd what you were getting at.  When I first started to dry cure meats, I adjusted some recipes to account for using Tender Quick rather than Pink Salt since Tender Quick was very easy to get around here - many Amish and others use it to make sausage.

A link to Tender Quick is:

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/culinary-salts/meat-curing-and-pickling-salts/178/morton-tender-quick/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Cookinbob
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Tenderquick is a pre-mixed cure with nitrates, nitrites, and regular salt.  They also offer sugar cure which has..........sugar.  You will see they do not offer many recipes for it, noticeably absent is bacon - for some reason TQ is not recommended for bacon.

Buy a pound of Instacure 1 - it will go a long long way.  Buy a copy of Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman, or search the web for bacon, ham, pancetta, Canadian bacon, or whatever recipe interests you.  You should find detailed instructions, photos, and even videos.  Search this forum or ask for a recipe!!  There are also lots of us on this forum who have cured meats too, who are more than willing to help you out.
    Rochester, NY
  • Roadpuke0
    Options
    Been using mortens tender quick for twenty years, works great!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Recent cures
    Rochester, NY
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Thanks again for the info. HopeFully I will be curing in the near future.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I used MTQ for my first attempt at bacon and I used the Ruhlman season blend for bacon. It turned out more than fine.