Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite pots and pans?

I've fallen in live with my one Lodge cast iron Dutch oven and want to invest in a few more nice pots and pans. I'm curious what others here consider their favorites, including sizes....
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Like my Calphalon SS, and the few pieces of enameled cast iron I have.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    This may sound silly, but my favorite pan that gets the most use on my eggs is a small 8 x 8 stainless steel pan. I always cover it inside and out with HD foil for ease of cleanup. Then I have a small wire grate that is 10 x 8 which rests on top. I use this for pork roasts, pork loins, tenderloins, prime rib and beef roasts. The advantage is it prevents burning from direct heat underneath, but permits surround heat close by as well as smoke to surround the meat.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I always reach for my CI ware: skillets, griddle, dutch oven. I also love my le crueset dutch ovens as well. They cleanup really easily especially after a good soak.
    Dunedin, FL
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    @yzzi‌ is Le Cruesset enameled? What are your most used sizes?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • yzzi
    The small rounded bottom is 4 quarts. I have a larger one (8 quarts) that is a flat bottom. imageimage
    Dunedin, FL
  • I have 2 pieces of go to CI, Lodge 10" chicken fryer and a 10" Chef pan. 90% of cooks use one of those pans. I have a collection of All Clad but those don't go on the Egg. I also just invested in a couple of Lodge's Steel pans. Used a few times and I think I like them as they heat quick and season really easy as you use them. 

I havd a gas burner built in on my egg table so I have the flexibility to use the egg or gas for sides.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @cparktx For egging, or in general?  I've got Lodge 12" and 8" pans for the egg, and I use the 12" inside a lot as well.  Watch out for handle length.  My old Lodge 12" wouldn't fit because the handle was too long.  I'm looking forward to getting a dutch oven for the egg.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797

Lodge is ok for cast iron pots and pans. The best is to go antique hunting and find cast iron that was made in the 1930's and before. Look on the bottom of the pan. If you see WAGNER or GRISWOLD you have got a good pan. Lodge does not smooth mill the cast iron at the end like they did in the past. Antiques are easy to restore if you need too and they are much smoother than Lodge

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    All Clad D5 and copper core and Le Creuset for me. Wagner and Griswold CI.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Cuisinart enamel cast iron Dutch ovens. 3 and 5.5 quart my favorites. Large SS Cuisinart pot and pan set I've had for about 5 years. a few loved iron skillets. Good cookware is a must.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    la Creuset for enameled cast-iron pots and one frypan, All-Clad copper saute pans, and a cheep T-Fal coated frypan for eggs and fish.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I cook 100% on iron outside. Even my drip pan is a 9" square iron pan from Ikea. I use the iron grate & a collection of old round fryers picked up at yard sales over the years. Even my bread baking loaf pan is iron, as well as my burger press. 

Wipe 'em clean, hose 'em down, dry and store in the garage. Seasoned by use. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I have never put a pan in my BGE, probably never will.
    If your question is of a generic nature, I really like my revereware for almost anything on the stove, with the exception being for breakfast.  I have a square teflon pan I love to use for 6 slices of bacon and then eggs, & it also is my omelette pan.  If I'm making hash, then it's my CI skillet.  I also use my CI skillet in the oven for a German pancake.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    RRP said:
    This may sound silly, but my favorite pan that gets the most use on my eggs is a small 8 x 8 stainless steel pan. I always cover it inside and out with HD foil for ease of cleanup. Then I have a small wire grate that is 10 x 8 which rests on top. I use this for pork roasts, pork loins, tenderloins, prime rib and beef roasts. The advantage is it prevents burning from direct heat underneath, but permits surround heat close by as well as smoke to surround the meat.
    You cook eggs in a pan lined with HDAF?  Fried?  Scrambled?  Omelettes?
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Anything cast iron. Nekkid or enameled. Plus SS in 8" and 14".
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Botch said:
    la Creuset for enameled cast-iron pots and one frypan, All-Clad copper saute pans, and a cheep T-Fal coated frypan for eggs and fish.  

Sounds like we could switch kitchens and never miss a beat.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    @Botch @Mickey La Creuset too.  I've had my blue #24 for over 30 yrs. and it's still going strong, was a present from my Mom who worked in a cooking store part time so she got a good discount.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    logchief said:
    @Botch @Mickey La Creuset too.  I've had my blue #24 for over 30 yrs. and it's still going strong, was a present from my Mom who worked in a cooking store part time so she got a good discount.
    I love my LCs. I basically bought my cookware so I would never have to replace it short of theft or house fire, along with the generations after me.
  • yzzi
    edited November 2014
    By the way, sorry for the really bad pics I posted. The one wasn't even cleaned as I just pulled it out of the sink. I bought both mine at the Le Crueset outlets, and they were both either second hand or clearance ones and carry the same warranty (so I was told), and you get to save a couple few bucks because of a "scratch" of some sort that you're going to get with normal use anyways. Plus you can sometimes use a 20-30% off coupon too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You talking inside or outside cooking? We have three sets of pots and pans. The wife has some Caphalon, I have some that I think are Circulon and then a hodge podge of different size CI pans and DOs. I go for the CI most often. Can't stand the Caphalon. Most of them need to be trashed IMHO.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Griffin said:
    You talking inside or outside cooking? We have three sets of pots and pans. The wife has some Caphalon, I have some that I think are Circulon and then a hodge podge of different size CI pans and DOs. I go for the CI most often. Can't stand the Caphalon. Most of them need to be trashed IMHO.

@griffin I used to think the same thing about Calphalon, but last year I got two new ones from williams sonoma and they're great.  They heat evenly, can brown and sear, and are really nonstick.  I think it's called calphalon elite. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited November 2014

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    lecrusette dutch, braiser, and casserole caste iron enamelled. camp ci dutch ci fryer, ci fry pans. set of vintage wear ever aluminum pans with wooden handles
    :D, a copper tin lined ruffoni stock pot for chowdahs and a couple portuguese cataplanas. i do have a couple big ss stock pots but dont really see the fascination with all the high tech laminated s/s pots and pans, the ones ive had were just built wrong, especially the laminated ones... the lamination needs to cross the bottom and go up the sides, the ones with the flat bottom lamination just burn stuff in the corners and almost all seem to be built this way. ive also been given 2 second hand enamelled dutch lodges from people that didnt know what they had, ie....too heavey
    :)) most used pan for the egg is a cs paella
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Lodge cast iron for the Eggs (19 pcs. and use them all). And Allclad copperchef  for inside ( 16 pcs. and use them all)! I really like the Lodge pans!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Tramontina for indoor kitchen use.  Made in the USA, and we've had ours for several years with no real signs of wear.  As long as you take care of them reasonaby well, they'll last.  Fairly inexpensive as well.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I use the Lodge cast iron for outdoor cooking. I find that the cheap old black iron pans will more than hold their on with anything out there. The old black iron just works and works exceedingly well. It produces consistent results again and again. Hard to beat in my opinion for general cookery. I also have a very large and heavy walled aluminum pot that I made out of a piece of 48" diameter pipe. I use this when boiling shrimp, crab and crawfish. Again this is a homemade pot.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2014
    Permanent spots on the gas cooktop are  a Viking 7 ply 3.5qt saucier.  A 4-in-1 12qt stockpot, great for stocks, brines, steaming, soups, pasta......think it's Cuisinart?  A Lodge 12" Carbon Steel skillet, and my favorite being a rare Wagner 12" chef's skillet.  The sides of the skillet are rounded and not as acute as the standard, and it has a sturdy/stable handle for tossing.  

4 Lodge DOs, 2 Le Creuset DOs, and a few Le Creuset sauce pans.  Favorite there is a vintage 2 3/4 qt Le Creuset sauce pan with pour spout and wood handle I found still in the box, new.  Nice, even heat and easy to transfer.  Many different sizes of vintage CI skillets.  If I had to pick one, it would be my mama's 7 qt Le Creuset DO.  

For the egg, my favorite vessel is a Griswold Large slant logo #16 griddle, and a #12 Large slant logo griddle for the small.  12" hand hammered carbon steel pao wok with wood handle from the Wok Shop is up there too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Focker said:
    Permanent spots on the gas cooktop are  a Viking 7 ply 3.5qt saucier.  A 4-in-1 12qt stockpot, great for stocks, brines, steaming, pasta......think it's Cuisinart?  A Lodge 12" Carbon Steel skillet, and my favorite being a rare Wagner 12" chef's skillet.  The sides of the skillet are rounded and not as acute as the standard.  

Numerous Lodge and Le Creuset DOs, and a couple of Le Creuset sauce pans.  Many different sizes of vintage CI skillets.  If I had to pick one, it would be my mama's 7 qt Le Creuset DO

For the egg, my favorite vessel is a Griswold Large slant logo #16 griddle, and a #12 Large slant logo griddle for the small.  12" hand hammered carbon steel pao wok with wood handle from the Wok Shop is up there too. 
    ATT: readers here...trust me when you read something about antique cast iron cookware that Brandon has posted. He knows his stuff and has even been known to swap his garage finds for other products! Want to guess how I know that? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @RRP

You putting that ol' Wagner through it's paces? 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."