Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6lb Flat Question

Phatchris
Phatchris Posts: 1,726
@travisstrick‌ method?

Any other ideas

At $9lb I don't want to F it up :D

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I will endorse the Travis "How I do it" method for flats especially since beef prices are out-of-control.  That said, if you can find a supplier of packers then your $$/lb goes way down and the cook is easier and the finish-line is much easier to hit. 
    BTW- I have hosed up more flats than I care to recall but the up of the downside is chopped brisket sandwiches-most eggcellent salvage operation. Enjoy the cook.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phatchris
    Thanks, I've done a couple small flats this way and they were good, not great... I have to special order packers
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    $9/lb? Dayum
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    @henapple‌ tell me about! It's crazy.... I I'm in the Boston area and have to special order packers, I usually get flats at Whole Foods for $7lb
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Have you checked Walmart?  Ours carries packers at $3.68/pound.  I bought 2 yesterday - one was USDA Choice and the other USDA Select.  They only happened to have that 1 Choice one yesterday but usually have more.  They are Excel brand and cryovac wrapped.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Thanks for mentioning you are in the Boston area. I will mark that off on my map of places I can't move to... :D

But seriously, for just a flat, Travis method works. Another option is to wrap in bacon. I've never tried, but have seen it mentioned.

BTW, looks like there are a few Restaurant Depots around MA, might be worth a membership to Kansas City BBQ Society (www.kcbs.us).

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I want to try sous vide cooking one of these next.  I hate the idea of possibly messing it up at $6 and change per pound.  $9/lb...is that prime or something?
  • Phatchris
    Coleman from whole foods... Guessing choice.
  • Phatchris
    DMW said:

Thanks for mentioning you are in the Boston area. I will mark that off on my map of places I can't move to... :D

But seriously, for just a flat, Travis method works. Another option is to wrap in bacon. I've never tried, but have seen it mentioned.

BTW, looks like there are a few Restaurant Depots around MA, might be worth a membership to Kansas City BBQ Society (www.kcbs.us).

Boston is definitely not a BBQ city, we do other things well though... Like winning Championships :D
  • Phatchris
    edited November 2014
    Brisket is on, it's 37 degrees, raining, and 20 mph winds here in Boston... Lousy weather for the biggest game of the year! Wintry mix down at Gillette
  • henapple said:

$9/lb? Dayum

Yes @henapple‌ I did the math in my head, well with a calculator, and threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Phatchris

henapple said:

$9/lb? Dayum

Yes @henapple‌ I did the math in my head, well with a calculator, and threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    Yup $50 brisket, still a relatively inexpensive way to feed 10 or so with sides.
  • Phatchris
    Edit.... Make that 35 degrees, wintry mix and 35 mph winds....
  • DMW
    Seriously check out RD. Last I was there $3.68/# for a full packer.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've done flats by injecting and refrigerating overnight. Day of the cook I pull and let it relax a bit. Pat dry and inject once more and coat with a simple S&P rub. Indirect smoke with RW and oak for smoke at 235℉ ish till it probes like buttuh.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Phatchris
    edited November 2014
    Not my best, but not bad eitherimage

Little dry, think I need to calibrate my dome thermometer.
  • lousubcap
    Most eggcellent-great smoke ring and if that's not your best then it still looks like a home-run!  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Did I read that right? $9/lbs for brisket? Is that some kind of Waigu(sic)/kobe beef? That brisket had better come with blackjack, bourbon and hookers...

The price of beef is just insane these days. Pork ain't far behind. The price of pork shoulders is $2.50/lbs here.

/I feel poor
    //and old

• DMW
    For a small flat, that looks like good results to me. Can't blame the result on the thermo, but rather on what you started with. If you want a benchmark with a similar $/# but much different result, head here:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Phatchris
    LeoHat2 said:

Did I read that right? $9/lbs for brisket? Is that some kind of Waigu(sic)/kobe beef? That brisket had better come with blackjack, bourbon and hookers...

The price of beef is just insane these days. Pork ain't far behind. The price of pork shoulders is $2.50/lbs here.

/I feel poor
    //and old

Welcome to whole foods :D
  • lousubcap
    @DMW-nicely played.  And DMW is on the mark about the quality going in really does heavily influence the outcome.  SRF is some great eats but you can do quite well with a locally purchased prime packer if you are lucky enough to find a supplier.  (Costco here has them on a random basis and they are around $4.25/lb)-worth the search.  Regardless great eats await!
  • Phatchris
    edited November 2014
    DMW said:

For a small flat, that looks like good results to me. Can't blame the result on the thermo, but rather on what you started with. If you want a benchmark with a similar $/# but much different result, head here:

On my short list my friend....I thought they were closer to $20 lb, but for $10 or so I'm in :D