Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder on for overnight cook. A question

Options
Have a shoulder on and am planning on cooking it until mid morning tomorrow. Using Digi-Q. Have got target set at 255 and have achieved that temp. Question is - plans are for it to get cold tonight (around freezing I think). Should I go out and try to close down the vent a little at the top for heat conservation providing I don't get in a situation where fan has to keep running to compensate for smaller exhaust opening? Trying to make sure coals make it all night.
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    By the way. 8.2 lb bone-in shoulder. Rubbed with mustard then texasbbqrub.com Grand Champion (Thanks to Cazzy). Cooking with cast iron plate setter - feet up then stainless grid. Cut and scored fat cap prior to rub.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i use a BBQ guru and regardless of the temp outside i always have my vents set the same never had a issue i suggest  do as you always have 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Just crack the top vent. The guru is supposed to keep the fan moving to force the air. I have seen where folks have set them to where the fan was not running much and it melted the fan.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Hibby
    Options
    Have top cracked barely. Waiting for temp to drop. Climbed to 298 now down to 286. Only my 2nd time with digi-q
  • Hibby
    Options
    Where did my pics go? I had 3 attached to first post.
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @Hibby - I wouldn't worry too much about the cold, it's 32 degrees here in Chicago with 50+mph winds and I'm getting ready to throw 12lbs of shoulder on for the night.  No Digi-Q, but it seems to always work if I get the lump right.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I have a little leakage on my gasket. I almost close my daisy wheel all the way. You might also check your blower damper....I go about 50%.

No ...I have a little leakage on my gasket jokes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hibby
    Options
    Presently have damper at what appears to be 50% and settled in Rock solid at 255. Smells good. I need to make some good Q. Have way too much invested in this stuff to not use it.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    henapple said:

I have a little leakage on my gasket. I almost close my daisy wheel all the way. You might also check your blower damper....I go about 50%.

No ...I have a little leakage on my gasket jokes.

Seriously, the king of trolls ask for no jokes? =))
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Have a shoulder on and am planning on cooking it until mid morning tomorrow. Using Digi-Q. Have got target set at 255 and have achieved that temp. Question is - plans are for it to get cold tonight (around freezing I think). Should I go out and try to close down the vent a little at the top for heat conservation providing I don't get in a situation where fan has to keep running to compensate for smaller exhaust opening? Trying to make sure coals make it all night.
    Actually, I think your logic is backwards.  If it gets real cold, then you need more fire to keep it warm, that means more airflow, not less.  However, I suggest as others do, leave it the same and let your Digi-Q do it's job.  Fact, the ceramic egg is an awesome insulator, you have nothing to worry about as long as you put enough fuel in at the beginning of the cook.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Hibby
    Options
    I must have not put enough fuel in. Woke up to pee at 0715 and when I hit the top of the stairs, I could hear a loud beeping. Turned out was the Digi-Q alarming that the pit temp was low. I went on porch and found it at 155 (as opposed to 255). Didn't take the time to see if fuel was left but I doubt it as the fan was running. Went ahead and did FTC and will double-check the internal temp here in an hour or so. I might pull early and hold in oven until lunch.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hibby said:
    By the way. 8.2 lb bone-in shoulder. Rubbed with mustard then texasbbqrub.com Grand Champion (Thanks to Cazzy). Cooking with cast iron plate setter - feet up then stainless grid. Cut and scored fat cap prior to rub.
    Hmmm, interested to see how you like it on pork.  I've only used GC on brisket.  

With the sugar content, i'm sure it will be great...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hibby
    Options
    The few nibbles I had this morning were scrumdillyicious
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I low & slowed at -9 degrees last winter...no issues. With no controls!!

Egg on hot or cold !!!

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Hibby
    Options
    Holy mackerel - this pork is goooood. Pulled great - still very juicy. Great bark! Poured a little Franklin sauce on it and delicious. Couldn't be happier.
  • cazzy
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yeah that rub is a bark machine. Sounds great! Happy you like your stuff!
  • Hibby
    Options
    I'm over the moon about it. Cazzy - try that rub on a shoulder - unreal. Thanks again!
  • Hibby
    Options
    Keep forgetting pic.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Hibby said:

I'm over the moon about it. Cazzy - try that rub on a shoulder - unreal. Thanks again!

I know the flavor profile well. Glad it all worked out!