Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pat's or Geno's?

I am in Philly. Pat's or Geno's?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think it's John's Roast Pork or Tony Lukes. Pat and Genos are for tourists.
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited October 2014
    Neither! Steve's Prices of steaks or Tony Lukes.  Roast Pork and Broccoli Rabe in the reading terminal is fantastic. if you want something different that is :)

Aurora,OH
  • One of each. Decide for yourself.

Seriously, the debate is as ferocious as T-Rex vs. Reverse Sear, or Beans or no beans in chili.
    Everyone has their own preference.

But they are right across the street from each other. So go get one of each and decide for yourself.

Geno's is where I go. But if someone else was buying at Pat's I'd be there in a minute.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    agree that there are many better sandwiches both in & out of the city but if you're there for a day & want to see something pretty cool there's nothing wrong with visiting Pats & Genos, hell get one at each as they aren't that big... 

If you're here longer then definitely put Dinics in the Terminal & Jims on Southstreet on your list, or any of the others listed above... they're all better sandwiches but they also all lack that intangible quality of being at true cheesesteak ground zero
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • I agree, Pat's & Geno's are very touristy, but I had to go do a taste test anyway.  I preferred Pat's. Click HERE for some photos of both.

With that said, the next time I go to Philly, I will eat at one (or all) of the places listed above.  I've heard great things about Jim's and Tony Lukes.  

Have a great time!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Pat's... If choosing between the two.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited October 2014
    Yeah I can agree it's fun to do the tourist thing. You'll find that there are so many good cheese steak places in the area and the one thing that set Philly apart from other area is the bread.

Sarcone's rolls and Amaroso's rolls are just fantastic!

Lived in Philly for 21 years :( I miss it.
    Aurora,OH
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Honestly, the sandwiches at Reading Market were solid. Maybe while you're there, you try this. Must be a Philly thing.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited October 2014
    If you go to Tony, try the sandwhich with  Broccoli Rabe.

And sorry to say it, but boy do I miss the bread from up there. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    tazcrash said:
    If you go to Tony, try the sandwhich with  Broccoli Rabe.

And sorry to say it, but boy do I miss the bread from up there. 
    The rolls and bread are excellent, haven't been anywhere outside this region that really compares.  I was born in Philly & have live my entire life in various suburbs right outside the city so it almost pains me to say this but I'm rather convinced that the best hoagie/cheesesteak rolls & related bread is actually baked over the bridge in Jersey.  I prefer Liscios for one over Amorosos and there's one (name escapes me at the moment) that's better than both.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Whatever you get, just make sure you get it the authentic way and get cheese wiz.
    Dunedin, FL
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Jims
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Tony Lukes.  Roast Pork Italian.  Debate over.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Pats.....or go to the Pamatii bros for the slaw and fries...on the Sammy!

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• To add a bit more:  Tony Luke's roast pork italian is sandwich that starts with roast pork (duh), and adds sharp provolone and broccoli rabe (with a bit of red pepper cooked in to kick it up a noticable notch).  It's the single best sandwich you can get in Philly, IMHO, and I've had plenty of them since arriving in neighboring Delaware 20 something years ago.  They do a very nice egg and pepper hoagie, which is the only thing that will cure what ails you -- win or lose -- after an all-nighter in AC.

For cheesesteaks, I'd avoid Pats and Geno's and prob even Jim's.  Touristy and very spotty quality day to day.  Instead, the "must eat" steak is Dalessandros.  Local spot, consistent product, bring a serious appetite.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 for John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's. Fortunately I can get Liscio's rolls, same as Tony Luke's uses, locally at the farmers market on weekends.
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Tony Luke's or John's Roast Pork for a steak sandwich. Better yet, stop at Reading Terminal Market in Center City and get a pork sandwich from DiNic’s.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Well since u asked pats or Geno's I will answer with pats. Either are good but pats is better. Swmbo prefers Geno's. no surprise. Decide for yourself is half the experience. Then try others. It's one of those things u have to do at least once
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    The Pats are going down on Sunday. Oops my bad....wrong thread. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thanks for all the info. We hit Pat's yesterday. Got a steak with onions and cheese whiz and it was good. I am going to try to hit a few others while I am here.