Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On this day 43 years ago, music lost one of it's most influential and greatest, Brother Duane Allman

Options
YEMTrey
YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
edited October 2014 in Off Topic
Only if somebody could have kept him from getting on that damn bike.

The Allman Brothers played their final show last night as well.  With a final run at the Beacon Theater in NYC, they are done.  Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are moving on with their other musical careers.  They played an additional set, and a prolonged encore to have the show carry over to the next day to celebrate the life of their brother and show tribute on this day.

So, tonight, listen to your favorite Allman Brothers show, pour yourself a glass, and reminisce on one of the best bands of our time.

The Road Truly Goes on Forever

Cheers!

Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited October 2014
    Options

From Facebook. Last night. Some one commented, "brings new meaning to No One To Run With Anymore"
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hopefully Gregg will tour again. Really want to see mule too
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mule is playing Taft Theater in Cincinnati.  100 yards from my office!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    March will never be the same in NYC or the Beacon!

2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    They have replayed last nights show twice today on Sirius Classic vinyl. They are going to play it a few more times over the next few days. Worth a listen, Sirius has a free 30 day trial if you don't have a subscription. If you are not an allman brothers fan just go listen to Wilson pickets version of hey Jude.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Not sure it's possible to overstate how good their music is:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

They have replayed last nights show twice today on Sirius Classic vinyl. They are going to play it a few more times over the next few days. Worth a listen, Sirius has a free 30 day trial if you don't have a subscription. If you are not an allman brothers fan just go listen to Wilson pickets version of hey Jude.

I just did. Doesn't touch the original, but it was great nonetheless. I don't know why I never got into the Allman brothers. I basically stopped with southern rock/Americana with The Band.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I take it YEMtrey = You Enjoy Myself Trey Anastasio right?
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I can see what this post is going to lead to.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Definitely one of the classics from the early 70s, my rock and roll hay day.  Dickey Betts was one of the best along with the brothers.  I guess I'm telling my age, but it sure was fun back then and I survived.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    My favorite is..... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XJDxe7TVY

My wife's name is Melissa. Been married to her for almost 21 years.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Ride on that same stretch of road often. And Nov 11 a year later Barry Oakley was killed a couple of blocks from where Duane died. I'd you are ever in Macon or passing through I encourage all of you have any memories or appreciation of the "Brothers" to hop off I-75 and visit the Big House museum. It will be worth the time. Also try to tour Rose Hill cemetary to see the resting place for them both.

RIP Skydog
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Duane. So great. Session man, band mate. "There's no star's here!" So great with Gregg, Dickey. Even better with Eric, kinda 'stole' the Layla album. He was gone before I knew his music. Will play forever in my soul! That sliiiiiiiiiide. Every time I Eat a Peach . . .
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There's a good documentary about the studios at Muscle Shoals, Alabama which has a brief section about Duane et. all pretty much living in the studio. The owner recognized the great talent, but thought they were too flaky. He admits that sending them away was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made.

First time I heard a recording of theirs was in  an old VW Beetle. The driver was a mechanic, and had wired in stereo speakers into all the doors. I got to listen to about half of "Idlewild South" at about 110 dB. Needless to say, I was blown away. Couldn't even hear the thunderstorm outside.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news of his death. Coincidentally it was right around the corner from the location of "Live at Ludlow Garage."

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Just the other day a group of us were discussing what our favorite albums of all-time were.
    I thought about it briefly and the one greatest album for me is without question.
    Allman Brothers Live at Filmore East.
    I do however like Dickey Betts and the Great Southern Band over the current Allman Bros Band
    Also did you know that Dickey Betts named his son Duanne, and he currently shares lead guitar with his dad in the band. You need to hear his solo in Of Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Awesome good!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Live at Filmore East is probably one of the best live albums ever. Anyone with an appreciation for music should sit down and listen to it.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I couldn't miss the final run, we went to Friday, Saturday and Tuesday night shows and those boys ripped it up every single night. Friday night was probably my favorite musically out of the three. Tuesday night was a very emotional night for everyone and they did not disappoint playing until 1:30 in the morning. I will still follow TTB and Govt Mule but nothing will replace ABB in my book. God bless Duane Allman for starting it all!! RIP Skydog
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    UNO Kiefer Lakefront Jazz Fest 95 Sat Night 1st week. Buckwheat, The Band & ABB, The Weight & Liz Reed same night. Musical highlight of my life.