Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

School me on turbo brisket

I know there have been like a bazillion threads on it (and I'm trying to read through them), but I haven't paid much attention to them. I've always been a low and slow kinda guy. I'd kinda like to do a brisket Saturday, but not sure if I have the time to get one started Friday night with other activities going on. Is there a rule of thumb like an hour a pound kinda thing? Baylor starts at 3 and I'd like to have it done by halftime. No problem doing the FTC thing if it finishes early, just need to make sure to get it started in time.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I've done a ton of them the past few months. Not as good as low and slow but worth it for sure. My favorite is 275 for 1 hr per lb. you can still render the fat really well at that temp. Much higher and the meat is more firm like Kreutz and Smittys in Lockhart and city Matket in Lulling. Not bad but certainly not bliss either. You can do a killer brisky in an hour or less per if you keep her south of 300. No wrapping necessary.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • And go grab a prime packer at Costco if you can. More fat is good when cooking hot.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    What brother Tex said above about the more fat the better can't be stressed enough. The lean ones do not fair well at all at high temps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Cen_Tex-just for us low-lifes, is that 275 dome or grid?  It does make a difference for those of us who run "dome only".  Thanks-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @Cen_Tex-just for us low-lifes, is that 275 dome or grid?  It does make a difference for those of us who run "dome only".  Thanks-

I guess dome. I cook on a rig and thermo is pretty close to the brisket at that point. Do sent seem to matter much over the cook. It kind of settles in.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Cen_Tex-roger all and thanks for the info.  Figure it will help those of us who never attended/graduated from brisket camp.  But then again that was the proverbial hot and fast event...So, as always the cow drives the cook!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Wrap at 160 and you will be much less than an hour per pound. I would say close to 45 min per.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks like I'll have time after all to go overnight, so no turbo brisket this time. Will give me a chance to try out the new Flame Boss 100 as well. Thanks for all the advice, though. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• One of my most recent briskets ended up being an unintentional turbo brisket.. I tried to go overnight with it but didn't do a good job of being patient with stabilizing the Egg first.. When I went to bed, the temp was around 240.. Sometime about 3 hours later, it was almost 290.. Took awhile to get it back down to something closer to 250.. I think my ~9 lb brisket finished in about 8 hours.  And it was all gone when the party was over.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Not sure how, but put my first brisket on night before, set egg for 240 and appeared to have settled in at that temp before I put brisket on. Checked it about 3.5 hrs later and egg was out. Being 2am I re-lite egg and after 30-40 minutes I thought it was stabilized again around 240. Fell asleep on couch and woke up about 3+ hrs later and egg for at 450 dome temp. Not sure how long at that temp. Anyway, I wrapped brisket in foil and went to bed aggravated. In the morning I threw back on for 45 to 1 hr to reheat and see it I could salvage anything. When it came off the egg both my daughter and I tasted it and could not stop eating at the countertop. It was tender, juicy, and the burnt ends were amazing. Only problem is I do not know how long first cook was burning before going out, and second cook was burning at high temp. Several briskets later, I have not been able to reproduce the taste, tenderness, of first brisket. Although they were cooked slow and steady at 240, good but never able to duplicate first one.