Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Can I Make Pizza WITHOUT Taste of Meat?

Options
I cook lots of meat and chicken on my egg. Whenever I try pizza, empanadas, etc. there is always an undesirable meat taste even when egg is cleaned and pizza stone used.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Search on a clean burn. An hour at 600 to 750 will "SELF CLEAN" your egg and burn off any foul or meaty taste.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Simple. Get a second egg for nothing but pizza. Might sound stupid but i have a egg that i do nothing but baking in. No meat taste at all.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Simple. Get a second egg for nothing but pizza. Might sound stupid but i have a egg that i do nothing but baking in. No meat taste at all.
    For those that want to bake, that sounds like the smartest way to go.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    With all those eggs you can have a meatless egg, a meat egg, a fish egg, a pizza egg, a baking egg, an ice cream dish egg...

Just jealous...
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Meat? Undesirable? Never!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-?? Egg is "clean" but you're getting a "meat" flavor in pizza, calzones, bread, baking goods etc.??? When you say clean do you mean the ceramics are white or do you mean that you have cleaned out the lump with fresh lump? I've never had this adverse reaction even after doing a brisket or a Boston butt. I run the egg up to about 600℉ to 750℉ 30 or so minutes just to burn off the old oils and fats and the pizza or baking good is good to go (and that's with the same old lump with some new added to it). What kind of lump are you using. Note: I didn't read all the responses so, if this has already been covered disregard and carry on.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL. You might need a fresh load of lump.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Blackstone?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Try leaving the bacon, meatballs and pepperoni off your pizza.

:-\"
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NJ-Professor
    Options
    Thanks to all.....

I have used fresh Naked Whiz Highly Recommended lump.....fired the puppy as high as she could go and kept it there for 10-15 minutes but still traces of flank steak and other meats.

Will try going high temperature for longer......unless I hear something better.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you are reusing left over charcoal you likely have drippings that are reheating and giving you this flavoring. As others suggested a clean burn followed by new charcoal should resolve the issue.
    Greensboro, NC
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    ads75 said:

With all those eggs you can have a meatless egg, a meat egg, a fish egg, a pizza egg, a baking egg, an ice cream dish egg...

Just jealous...

@ads75‌ see it works perfect don't it. No meat taste in my bread or pies. :D

I have said it so many times. One can never have too many eggs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Oven, tastes better cooks faster.
    I've been tossing my pizzas in after the oven hits temp, the stone is ready by then no waiting 30+ mins etc.
    Seattle, WA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Moar meat, plz.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    It's a 302 thing . . .