Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in the Brisket Saddle

Options
Hello All,
It's been quite some time since I posted about one of my cooks, so i wanted to share my latest brisket attempt.

Started with a cryo from Costco. Didn't really look like a full 'packer', more like a truncated flat with the deckle removed. In any event it was pretty floppy in the cryo and had a decently even fat cap without any detectable hard patches of fat. I decided to forgo the trimming altogether and just rub it and run with it.

Rub was a medium but thorough coating of Butt Rub follow by a light dusting with DP Red Eye. I let the brisket rest at room temp for about 3 hours while I fiddled with the egg and tried to get to a temp I liked.

Egg was filled with BGE lump and about 8 big chunks of Pecan wood throughout. Would have used Oak if I had it,but I had Pecan...

I've had some trouble with fires dying O/N if I go for 225, so I was shooting for 250. Egg really seemed to want to stablilze at ~270, so I decided to just let it go. Brisket went on ~11pm, fat down. At ~8 am I too the first look. Nice bark had formed and the brisket was curling up a bit. Probe was still tough pretty much everywhere and temps were ~176. I choked down the DFMT a bit since I'd be up to pay closer attention and let it run. Temp stabilized right around 225 (go figure...) and when I next checked at ~ 12 noon it probed nice and buttery all over. TO be honest I didn't even look at temp, but probably should have.

2 X foil then 4.5hours of 3 X towels and cooler. When unwrapped the whole thing was still warm to the touch, but no longer hot. Sliced pretty nicely, although the fat cap tried to float on a few slices.

Brisket tended to break when given the 'bend test' if sliced at the width of a pencil, so I cut it just a bit fatter throughout.

Nice tender texture and maybe just a shade overcooked, but not much. Really nice flavor, although I could have used a bit more black pepper flavor. Fat was melty and delicious and each slice was good and moist. have some leftovers that will go into a chili in the very near future.

Only one pic, should be attached.

TL;DR version - Good brisket, little over cooked, moist and tasty!

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments