Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT Pork Chops and Potatoes

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So this weekend I received a gift card to my dealer (Meadow Creek BBQ) for a cook I did this summer. It was completely unexpected and much appreciated.

I really didn't need any additional egg accessories. And I'm not ready to buy my pig roaster, vertical, or offset yet. Sooo....

My couple year old cheap fire pit from Lowe's had seen better days. It was one of those thin metal things you expect to burn poorly and eventually rust through. My dealer also happens to carry fire pits. And they don't carry junk, so I went to see what they had.

Got a 30" steel pit with stainless steel cooking grid. The brand was Valley View, I can't find anything out about it online, but this thing is built like a tank.

Had some cardboard boxes that needed to be burned, so I tossed a bit of wood in there as well and got things going.

I was planning to do pork chops for dinner, and the original plan was the Small Egg. But, I figured I had a new toy, right?

First put some wrapped potatoes in the pit ahead of time.

And then went back to work for about an hour. Earlier I had salted the chops. I hit them with some Spice Pork Rub (recipe in Charcuterie) and on they went.

I flipped them every few minutes until they were anywhere between 100*-110* depending on the thickness of the chop and where it was on the grid. To say I had built an inconsistent fire would be an understatement. So I got a cast iron skillet hot on the stove, a little oil just to coat, and in they went.

I flipped them every minute until the IT was around 140*. Each one finished a few flips from the rest. I rested them on a rack above a place while everyone got to the table and potatoes were unwrapped.

Results were really good. Much more involved process than just doing it on the egg, but fun just for kicks. I can pretty much guarantee this will be used much more for marshmallows and hot dogs, but it was fun to give it a try.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments