Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri tip heaven

Legume
Legume Posts: 14,602
Defrosted a 2.5 lb tri tip from Texas Tech's Red Raider Meats and marinated it for ~5 hours in a mix of soy, balsamic, worchesteshire, evoo, honey, onion juice and garlic.

I made a mound of lump against the back wall of the XL and started it with a half-load in the chimney.  I roasted the tri tip raised direct in the front of the egg at 400 to 110 degrees then removed and tented with foil.  I removed the raised grid and left the lid of the egg up to let the fire rip.  Once the fire was raging, I put the tri tip back on to get a really good sear on it.

Along with this, I tried the sweet potato stacker recipe that @Dyal_SC posted.  These were incredible, absolutely incredible.  We love sweet potatoes and make them many different ways, but this immediately jumped to the front of the line.  We sat out on the back deck watching the WS and every time my wife went into the house and came back out, she said "it smells amazing in there."  Try these and make sure you use the coconut oil as it specifies, really adds to the flavor.

I should've let the tri tip rest a bit more before slicing, but I was trying to work quickly between innings.  Served with some strong horseradish sauce (plain greek yogurt sub for sour cream).  Great Sunday dinner.
imageimageimageimageimage

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    This looks amazing.  =D>
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Wow!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Nice looking Tri tip. I have yet to get my XL to get going really hot by leaving the lid open. It seems to do better closing it. I also use my wife's hair dryer to get it going hotter to, I will have to try this some time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great. Tri tip has become one of my favorites.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tri-tip has become the favourite of many, yours looks and sounds really good. 
    Agree on the Rosemary SP stackers, nice change from the usual. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Where do I sign up? I love everything in this post! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Thanks guys.  I was glad to hit med rare this time, I've had a bad run of overcooking beef lately.
  • I haven't had the tri tip from Tech yet, but will have to pick some up soon.  I love their pork butts, ribs, and even the marinated fajita meat.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Missed this magnificent cook when it was originally posted. Definitely two thumbs up =D> I'll even give you one of these ^:)^ I have some tri-tip in the freezer for when my son comes to visit. In fact, I think I bought the last three grass-finished tri-tips from the butcher until Spring. Also, it's a good thing I read this post it reminded me that I need to take a tri-tip out of the freezer. Once again, the meat looks magnificent.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Tri-tip... I don't see.the.in fla. Called some thing else?
    Nice looking cook. We like.SP too. I'll have to look up that recipe

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• stemc33
    AUCE said:
    Tri-tip... I don't see.the.in fla. Called some thing else? Nice looking cook. We like.SP too. I'll have to look up that recipe

@AUCE‌, I hear a lot of people from the East reporting the same thing. I think Costco carries them everywhere. If you look up Santa Maria Tri-Tip, you'll see it's a big thing in CA and out west. This cut of meat often gets tossed in with the stuff they grind. Its starting to get popular all over though. It's kind of a weird cut because the grain of the meat runs in different directions. It's best if it's sliced thinly across the grain.

Because of it's shape, you'll get different levels of doneness. Works great when you have people that like Medium Rare and others that like Medium. I just use salt, pepper and garlic and cook it hot and fast. Also, it's less than half the price of ribeyes and T-bones.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Thx..I'll do some digging

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Yes..Yes..Yes....Tri is one of my favorites, you did this one proud.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Awesome looking meal. Perfectly cooked meat is hard to beat.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    AUCE said:
    Tri-tip... I don't see.the.in fla. Called some thing else? Nice looking cook. We like.SP too. I'll have to look up that recipe
    It is hard to find in the East. I spoke to our meat manager at the Stauffer's market a few years ago and he ordered some for me and put the rest out for sale.  It seems to have caught on as he now orders it regularly.  Most any market should be able to order it - sopme might not want to do it since it may require a minimum purchase.  Our Costco does not carry it and will not order it.

Keep looking and asking butchers - it is well worth the effort.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Cook looks great, I haven't done a tri tip in a really longtime, might be time.

Costco might carry them, but they blade tenderize all beef and recommend cooking to an internal temperature of 160. I get their meats and have done 140, but be aware.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Looks delicious, great job. I eat those as often as possible here in Ca.
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    BYS1981 said:
    Cook looks great, I haven't done a tri tip in a really longtime, might be time. Costco might carry them, but they blade tenderize all beef and recommend cooking to an internal temperature of 160. I get their meats and have done 140, but be aware.

Costco here in CA carries both Choice and Prime Tri Tip all the time, but never carry brisket and the butchers there say they've never seen brisket in Costco, which is a bummer for us.  

@BYS1981 I buy Costco choice and prime beef on a regular basis and have never seen or heard of any this blade tenderizing, is there something I should know??? 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Shiff
    logchief said:

@BYS1981 I buy Costco choice and prime beef on a regular basis and have never seen or heard of any this blade tenderizing, is there something I should know??? 
    It is usually right on the label.  I asked them once if there was a way to order meat that is not tenderized and they said no.  The only things that aren't tenderized are the cryovac packages.  I don't see why a rib eye steak would need to be tenderized, but they do it anyway.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Tri-tip is awesome.  Costco is the only place I can find it in GA.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    The bulk prime tri tip packages at California Costco's are the hot ticket.  They contain 3 or 4 tri tips.  Get out the FoodSaver.  May be wrong, but I don't think they are blade tenderized.  All the Costco steaks are blade tenderized, except for the filets, which are most excellent!!  I've stopped buying any other steaks at Costco.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Shiff said:
    logchief said:

It is usually right on the label.  I asked them once if there was a way to order meat that is not tenderized and they said no.  The only things that aren't tenderized are the cryovac packages.  I don't see why a rib eye steak would need to be tenderized, but they do it anyway.
    Wow, I'll have to check that out, I go to Costco almost weekly since it's so close.  I couldn't agree more on the RibEye
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • BYS1981
    @logchief‌ check the label, it says it, @R2Egg2Q‌ brought it to my attention.

@Shiff‌ that's stupid they can't order without it being blade tenderized.
  • Shiff
    BYS1981 said:
    @logchief‌ check the label, it says it, @R2Egg2Q‌ brought it to my attention. @Shiff‌ that's stupid they can't order without it being blade tenderized.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to about it being stupid. I asked the meat manager at Costco if I could order some meat without it being tenderized and he told me no.  Are you saying that the meat is already tenderized when they get it?  The manager told me the meat in cryovac is not tenderized.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • BYS1981
    @shiff I meant stupid they won't order meat that hasn't been tenderized. Sorry for any confusion.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @logchief‌ - here's a read on blade tenderizing: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2013/10/mechanically-tenderized-beef-labels-food-safety/index.htm

You'd think there would be no need to do that to prime grade beef.

Here's a single prime tri tip from Costco that was labeled as being "blade tenderized" and the recommendation to cook it to a minimum internal temp of 160. To their credit they don't have to label it as blade tenderized but 160 is way too high for my tastes.

photo IMG_1286_zps5d008af0.jpg

And close up at the right angle you can see the blade marks:

photo IMG_1295_zps1b2a953c.jpg

To the OP, nice looking tri tip!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stemc33
    @R2Egg2Q‌, I dont think that's tenderized. It's a grainy cut of meat. I think Costco puts that label on their meat to prevent some kind of lawsuit.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    @R2Egg2Q‌, here's a pic showing a Tri-tip that is not tenderized. I don't have a raw pic, but you can see the striations in the meat.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    @stemc33‌ - the blade marks aren't that clear in my pic. See the circled areas below for the blade marks. They look like a big jaccard tenderizer hit them: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    stemc33 said:

@R2Egg2Q‌, I dont think that's tenderized. It's a grainy cut of meat. I think Costco puts that label on their meat to prevent some kind of lawsuit.

I'm not a blade tenderize expert, but in the picture you can clearly see holes of what look like prick marks in 3-4 sections.