Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you everyone and ....ANOTHER (can it be?).....brisket post

Options
bcsnave
bcsnave Posts: 1,009
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum

First I gotta say this forum is fantastic....I had purchased my 1st BGE (Large) in August of 2014..then found this forum....low and behold.......2 weeks later got my Mini BGE...then the disease started

I tease the crap out of a guy on here for his "Screen Name" ,,,,,,sound a lot like ....hit..bit...knit ...slit..or a number of other things.. and he's a great sport about it

then Henapple......well.....what can you say about Bacon Boy...?

CenTex...what a great guy..didn't know him from beans.....he is in Texas..me Wisconsin......anyway...he borrows me $350 worth of equipment...until I got my own..THANK YOU!..how trusting and what a show of character

Cazzy (he's just a hack but...) helped me through a stressful time with my 1st brisket stall

SGH.....another good guy

Anyway I got a brisket cook coming up on Friday night ......for a lunch with friends on Saturday....its a 12.8lb Packer

Gonna take the advice and set up the plate setter with the leg in the back....got my green Digiq DX (5 minutes faster cooks than any other color) set up for 250 grate....195 meat.......

What should I do to ensure a good cook? Do I foil the ends to not burn them? do I foil the whole brisket?..do I fly CenTex up here to do it for me?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

Comments

• bcsnave
    Options
    anyone

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Only fly Cen Tex in if you are looking for someone to; drink all your beer, let your fire go out (even with a controller), and still turn out a respectable result.

Seriously thought, with the advice you have listed above, not much else to say. Make sure the whole brisket is in the "shadow" of the plate setter, and nothing else to worry about. Just let it go until it's ready.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Just trim it...1/4 fat left on top
    Season...s&p...garlic if wanted
    Indirect with a pan raised. .no liquid
    Choice of chunks...hickory or oak
    Flat towards the rear
    250 and let her ride
    Start checking around 190 till tender
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @bcsnave‌
    First let me say thank you for the kind words above my friend. It's a honor to be mentioned along side some of the forum greats and legends.
    I would recommend laying down 4-6 inches of foil on each end of your cooking grid to help deter scorching and over browning of the "ends". Foiling the brisket its self is neither needed nor beneficial in my opinion. Just cook that bad boy until tender, pull and then wrap with paper or even foil. I much prefer the paper but foil will work. The wrap is for the rest only, not while cooking. If you need assistance or farther help feel free to ask. You can even call or text if need be. Name is Scottie. #228-627-5400. I will be glad to offer what I can. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited October 2014
    Options
    He doesn't need luck, he has an egg... @bcsnave‌, don't worry, it'll go fine...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Unless this is your last brisket I wouldn't over think it too much. Stick with what you know. Tweak it a little here and there. We are here to help but be confident and Cook On!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bcsnave
    Options

Thanks guys.......I'll take pictures of the journey ....and when we get to the final destination

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    LOL Nice man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....