Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Ownership - a 2 week review

Technically it hasn't quite been two weeks yet but so far, I really like the little guy. 

So far we've cooked:

chicken drumsticks
burgers
brats
whole spatchcock
sirloins
toast (faster to temp than the oven)
baked potatoes
bone-in chicken breast

The first few cooks it took some time to figure out how to light it. What I mean by that is I use the Rutland starter cubes (usually cut in half) and it would take a long time for the starter to burn up so I could put on the food. Now that I've dialed that back to 1/4 of a cube, the lil bugger gets to temp quick and I'm cookin'. I have taken the pointers from the Mini Experts and used lump out of the LBGE and it works great. I'm still amazed how little lump the thing goes through.

I still need to get a handle on the true cooking temp as the food shields the thermometer quite a bit so it seems low but the fire's quite hot. What I really need is a few more cooks to get a handle on this part. For example, when I put on a whole spatchcock, I had a nice stable fire but the dome thermo read 250 degrees and stayed there for at least 20 minutes of the 35-40 min cook. I know it was stable at 400 when I put on the bird as I was concerned about this issue. 

I have yet to really nail a good steak on it. The sirloin I cooked was a little thin and it turned out great but I need to get a good sear on the next one. 

My mini woo ring and pizza stones are supposed to show up on Tuesday. Then its really going to be game on! Hoping to tailgate with it in Iowa City next weekend.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Two advise: get a Hi-Que and put the Daisy Wheel in the garage (just not needed).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014
    You have cooked more on yours in two weeks than I have in nearly two YEARS. I've been trying to use it some lately. Sure wish I could keep the temp below 500! I tried the DFMT last night. It and the bottom were virtually closed. Still 500.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2014

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    I have had my mini for a little over a month now and it gets more use than my Med, usually 3-4 times a week. Not having any trouble controlling temps and I use the DMFT with no troubles. Just waiting for my Egg Carten to show up next week.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629

You have cooked more on yours in two weeks than I have in nearly two YEARS. I've been trying to use it some lately. Sure wish I could keep the temp bow 500! I tried the DFMT last night. It and the bottom were virtually closed. Still 500.

Send it to Alabama and let me try it out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I do not have a mini, when I put on large cuts of meat on my XL it drops the temp 20 or 30 degrees and takes about 30 minutes to come back. A Spatchcock chicken could do that on a mini. How long does it take to cook the chicken? If it's an hour you should be ok.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I sure miss my Mini.  CL buy that developed too many breaks.  Using a Smoky Joe Jr. now, it's OK but not the same.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • @revolver1‌ I'm curious, what is wrong with the joe junior? I'm trying to decide between that and a mini max.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    edited October 2014
    @revolver1‌ I'm curious, what is wrong with the joe junior? I'm trying to decide between that and a mini max.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it.  I'm just spoiled after using the Mini for about 2.5 years.  I'm still learning how to use it too. 
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.