Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All the knife talk. Making 8" Slicing

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Went back to knife class tonight and started a 8" slicing knife. Where the hell is Travis? imageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Looking good bud! My dad used to have a friend who made knives all the time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm not jealous. No, not one bit....

Can't wait to see the finished product!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    Using ATS34 Stainless Steel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Will go to the ovens now.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That is a sharp looking knife @Mickey. :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Making your own knife, now that's cool!! But I gotta say that some of you guys make the rest of us feel kinda inadequate at times...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:

What kind of forge do you have?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hunter1881
    Options
    I am jealous and haven't seen the finished product yet.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    What a neat idea.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Have you made others or is this your first try?
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    Mickey said:

What kind of forge do you have?

Here is both oven and forge: imageimage

• Mickey
    Options
    AD18 said:
    What a neat idea.  Keep us posted on your progress.  Have you made others or is this your first try?

Done a couple: Veg chopping knife and a sandwich knife: imageimage

• Mickey
    Options
    Will be doing SS liners and boosters(?) at each end of handle.

• Mickey
    Options
    @SGH‌ and @Foghorn‌ after your posts and I hope I read this correct saying you liked the 8" best thats what I am going for.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That chopper is a beauty!  Nice work.

Christmas is 9 weeks away, you better get going, you have a lot of those to make for gifts if you are gonna give one to everyone on the site.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That is too cool, Don Mickey. Is all that equipment yours or a buddies? I'd love to try making a knife of my own one day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Griffin said:
    That is too cool, Don Mickey. Is all that equipment yours or a buddies? I'd love to try making a knife of my own one day.
    Bill Smiths eqt. He was commissioned by the Alamo for a Bowie and its there now. He lives just down from the Inn of the Creek at the end of my street. Thats where the party for Fri/Sat nights are at the Inn. He just did a couple of knives for the Salado School deal and they brought $4700......

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow!! So he's teaching you how? Sounds like a cool deal.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Wow!! So he's teaching you how? Sounds like a cool deal.
    we had Travis there but he stopped coming.... Travis where the hell are you :ar!

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

Am I the only one that sees a face in the drawer of rags in the top right of this picture? 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mickey
    Options
    Will check that out BW

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's cool. Looks like a lot of fun.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    The 8" is far more useful for everyday chores my friend. No question of it.

Status- Standing by.

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Very nice work indeed.  Time, patience, and skill similar to good barbeque:)  Well done:)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ The 8" is far more useful for everyday chores my friend. No question of it.

Buddy you are the reason I decided on the 8" slicer. After reading your and @Foghorn‌ back and forth.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    there were too many people there for me to get any help. It's a long drive to not get any guidance. I'd love to go back. Let me know when it clears out.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I still have fish for you, my friend.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Options
    I still have fish for you, my friend.

Just call when you are home and I will pick up. Thanks

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:
    @Mickey‌ The 8" is far more useful for everyday chores my friend. No question of it.

Buddy you are the reason I decided on the 8" slicer. After reading your and @Foghorn‌ back and forth.
    It's a good choice for you Mickey.  Not many of us know how to handle something bigger than 8".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Mickey said:
    SGH said:

It's a good choice for you Mickey.  Not many of us know how to handle something bigger than 8".

Have you used the big ones yet?