Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone cook elk steak

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
Told I have a few elk steaks on the way????????
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mickey, it's been many years but from what I remember it's very similar to buffalo as it's very lean compared to what we typically look for in a good beef steak.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options

Elk is second only to moose in wild game, I love it.

When cooked it needs to maintain  its own flavor as much as possible. Do you know what cut you're getting?

Being a southern boy, I like my venison steaks tenderized floured and deep fried like whitetail. Wrapped in bacon and cooked on egg to 135 deg is mighty fine as well.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    mslaw said:

Being a southern boy, I like my venison steaks tenderized floured and deep fried like whitetail. Wrapped in bacon and cooked on egg to 135 deg is mighty fine as well.

I like the way you think...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    only once, it cooks fast like a dry aged steak and the first try is almost guaranteed to be over cooked
    :D have eaten it several times and like it red inside. its also the best burger ive ever eaten and it was served roadside in a parking lot of all places. make steak if its a good piece, make a burger if its not the best cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Cook hot and fast to no more than med rare. I cook exactly like venison and marinate in a 50/50 mix of Worcestershire and soy sauce.
    Duncan, SC
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    I grilled elk tenderloins a couple of years back and saw almost no fat! I used Dizzy Pig Red Eye express and they were delicious! Your coffee rub will go perfect with these steaks. I also did these hot and fast to med rare.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2