Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR, Spider or Woo?

If I want to raise my grid and maybe sometimes cook on two levels what do I need?  I have a large egg and already own a plate setter.  So far I have been using beer cans. I do not have a cast iron grid yet but I think I want one. I already have a pizza stone. 

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    If you want to cook on more than one level you will need to go with the AR.  The woo will lift the grate to felt level and the spider will drop a grate lower and allow for what your plate setter is doing.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2014

@jcaspary is 100% correct. 

However . . . IF you desire a less expensive approach to bi-level grilling, consider a combination of a Woo from CeramicGrillStore.com and a grill extender from OutdoorsThree65.com

That combo is less than half the cost of an AR, though not as sexy.  (I think the AR will give you more grid space too.)

For me, though . . . this works.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• TNegg
    TNegg Posts: 89
    hmmm.... aren't there options for the AR too? 

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2014
    TNegg said:
    hmmm.... aren't there options for the AR too? 

Of course.  Alla this is like a Lego set.

Build to your needs.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Where is the best place to get an AR? I Have the same set up as you TNegg
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • TNegg
    @Gman 2.... I was just gonna ask that!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Here you go. ceramicgrillstore.com.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • TNegg
    I just looked at the website.... can I use the AR with my plate setter or do I need to buy their ceramic plate? Thanks everyone for your help.  
  • I think you will need to buy a stone for indirect. I have the same setup as @Sardonicus‌ and love it. I also have the spider for wok cooking and searing steaks. Get what works best for you.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Give them a call and talk to them about what you want to and they will help out, but I believe you can use the plate setter with AR. I haven't been able to get one yet, but have talked to them about I may buy in the future. Everyone says they are very helpful. I have the XL so the AR is even more costly.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Don't hesitate to call Tom at Ceramic Grill Store and talk to him. He won't oversell you and if he thinks you can accomplish what you are shooting for with other means he will tell you that as well. Personally I have a AR and spider for my Large and Woo's for my medium and small and would never have it any other way. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • TNegg said:
    I just looked at the website.... can I use the AR with my plate setter or do I need to buy their ceramic plate? Thanks everyone for your help.  
    If you have a large, then the AR doesn't work with the platesetter.  If you have an XL, it does.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Best thing to do is call Ceramic Grill store and he can guide you to what you need based upon your desires to cook.  I can tell you that if you want to do multiple levels you need to go with the AR. 

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    TNegg said:
    If I want to raise my grid and maybe sometimes cook on two levels what do I need?  I have a large egg and already own a plate setter.  So far I have been using beer cans. I do not have a cast iron grid yet but I think I want one. I already have a pizza stone. 
    its an addiction..watch out

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    I'm a newbie . Y is cooking high in the dome so good???
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I would suggest the AR R&B Combo. It is a home run for the large and maximizes your space and options.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    g37 said:
    I'm a newbie . Y is cooking high in the dome so good???
    People think the heat radiating off the top is higher, and cook a little quicker. Some like it for pizzas and helping to crisp chicken skin.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA