Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found a deal at the Harbor Freight Store

Options
Who knew?  Harbor Freight makes their own cast iron frying pans and a dutch oven.  I picked up a 6 quart dutch oven - the price was $29.99 - but I had a 20% off coupon - so it was only a whooping $23.99!  It's in the oven being seasoned as I type.  I wish I would have known it sooner.  I bought a small Lodge grill pan at Walmart - I think I paid around $15.99.  Well, Harbor Freight has a package of 3 different size frying pans for $19.99!  Guess where I'm headed back to with another 20% off coupon in tow!

Comments

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Seems like the price is right, you got a good deal. I saw one at Ace the other day and it was $65. Does it have legs or is it flat bottom? I might have to go check it out, I could use another dutch oven.
    Thanks for posting.

Most Harbor Freight stuff that I have seen are questionable in quality. I bought a pressure washer that worked for about 20 minutes. But I did receive a free flash light and a bug zapper racket that works just fine.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It has legs - and yes I got a free flashlight as well!  The thing weights about 20 lbs.  I'll let you know how it does.  Trying it out within the next week.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    ....a bug zapper racket that works just fine.

I must just be slow.  I managed to kill a fly that had landed on the curtains once, but otherwise I've been swinging futilely at giggling, taunting flies all summer.  
    X(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The bug zapper reminds me of a post a long time ago about the bug a salt. Sorry to hijack the thread but its hours of enjoyment. Basically a salt shotgun to kill flies.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    What size Egg does a 6qt Dutch fit? I may pick one up.

I could use another flashlight.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • grill4us
    Options
    I have a large egg - I haven't tried the dutch oven out yet but, it'll fit!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I find most of the Harbor Freight items to be extremely crappy quality.  It is hard, you would think, to mess up a cast iron pan, though.   I have bought some trailer hitch related things which are just various welded pieces of iron and that seems to be holding up fine.

Don't buy their electrical tape!  It resembles actual 3M tape in color only.  Any other functionality disappears once removed from the roll....   :))

Dutch oven, though.  I may look into it.  I need one for camp fire cooking at a minimum let alone the egg.  I guess if there is no harmful metals or materials in or on the pan, you should be okay.  Thanks for the tip. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Their ceramic knives are sharp and at the price they're disposable.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I cannot confirm that the HF CI falls in this category, but I saw a few years back a warning about CI from China having lead in the mixture as it was cast using old auto engine blocks. Lead is added to CI makes it easier to production machine. Not saying that is the case here, but fair warning.
    Perhaps @NOLA or one of the other scientific types can provide an easy way to test for this?
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I cannot confirm that the HF CI falls in this category, but I saw a few years back a warning about CI from China having lead in the mixture as it was cast using old auto engine blocks. Lead is added to CI makes it easier to production machine. Not saying that is the case here, but fair warning.
    Thank you! Knowing that this is even a risk, I wouldn't buy one from HF.   Nothing else in the store shows any indication that they are going out of their way to invest in quality control, only cost control. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • grill4us
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.  I guess it was too good to be true! So....Off to Harbor Freight I go - And yeah - I'm telling them the real reason for the return!  On closer look the box lists it as made in China (although the instructions don't) which means it can't be trusted as safe to use!  This made in China stuff has got to stop!!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @grill4us‌ Keep the flashlight...;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• GatoGordo
    Options
    I have had a Harbor Freight Dutch Oven for years and I have yet to suffer from lead poisoning. Two of the symptoms are loss of appetite and weight loss and I have most definitely not succumbed to those!

What does differentiate the Harbor Freight from a better quality dutch oven is where the lid meets the pot. On my Camp Chef, both of these surfaces are flat and make a good seal. With the Harbor Freight, however, there is a little waffling and the two do not meet as cleanly and the seal is not as good. With that said, I still enjoy the Harbor Freight Dutch Oven and would recommend it to anyone as a good value.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Definitely a fan of harbor freight here.  But as with all stores, good for some stuff, not for others.  I've definitely saved a bunch of money on tools for doing house projects and wrenching on my car.  Others here have bought heat guns for lighting their Eggs.   Probably would stay away from cooking utensils there though; cadmium in their jewelry, murdering their own infants with formula.... China just doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to quality control w.r.t. public safey....
  • grill4us
    Options
    Ok so today I returned the dutch oven to Harbor Freight.  When they asked me why I told them that I hadn't realized it was made in China and how, knowing that, I felt from a safety standpoint it was an unwise purchase.  Well they looked at me as though I had two heads, but they let me keep the flashlight!