Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in chicken thighs!

I took the skin off these and smoked them with cherry and rub at 250 for 65/70 minutes until 160 the 7 leftover pieces will be made in to white bean chicken chili today
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406

Looks good. I love smoked chicken thighs!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2014

That's the way to do 'em!

Nice job. =D>

BTW . . . what do/did you do with the skins?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited October 2014

That's the way to do 'em!

Nice job. =D>

BTW . . . what do/did you do with the skins?

My wife was watching thus the reason for not leaving them on in the first place, so like a little girl I thru  them in the trash... I am so ashamed!
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Love bone-in chicken thighs! Looks good!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited October 2014
    . . . I [threw] them in the trash... I am so ashamed!

No biggie.  I only asked because I did thighs the same way, but threw the skins in a grill wok and crisped them along with some zuchs/squash/shrooms/etc. 

My intent was to use the chicken skins kinda like bacon bits, but I didn't let them crisp enough - I guess.  They ended up just chewy and not really tasty.

Was that a bad idea or poor execution?

Just wondering.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Nice looking thighs.  Looked so good I wouldn't have had enough to make the chili.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    For those smoked chicken thigh fans, check out the White Chicken Chile recipe from Octoberfest. 

Made a batch and it was TREMENDOUS. Fun cook too. Go lighter on the chiles and the jalepenos. I was told there was a mistake on the printed recipe. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• jcaspary
    @thebuckeye  I must be missing something, I didn't see it.  Do you happen to have a link for it?
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • THEBuckeye
    A PDF was posted. Just looked again and couldn't find it. I'l keep looking. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Here you go
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillmagic
    White Chicken Chile with left over smoked thighs!
  • THEBuckeye
    @Grillmajic

Did that rock your world or what?

Did you do that based on the Eggtoberfest taste and recipe?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jcaspary
    @thebuckeye  Thanks!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Grillmagic

@Grillmajic

Did that rock your world or what?

Did you do that based on the Eggtoberfest taste and recipe?
    Thanks for the link, I made the chili before I seen your post, I use the recipe from the Randalls White Northern Bean bottle which is almost identical to the one posted in the PDF Very Good Stuff. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

. . . I [threw] them in the trash... I am so ashamed!

No biggie.  I only asked because I did thighs the same way, but threw the skins in a grill wok and crisped them along with some zuchs/squash/shrooms/etc. 

My intent was to use the chicken skins kinda like bacon bits, but I didn't let them crisp enough - I guess.  They ended up just chewy and not really tasty.

Was that a bad idea or poor execution?

Just wondering.

I'm guessing you needed more time to render out the fat, before the skin will crisp. You can take the chicken skin off the bird and roast it between cookie sheets in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes. Salt them up. Havent done it on the egg but should be possible
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I did some chicken thighs last week. I left the skins on (it's my son's favorite part) and marinated overnight. Started direct at about 375-400 for a few minutes each side to get a nice sear. Then I lifted the grid and added wet hickory chips to the fire and put the platesetter in legs up. I lowered the heat to about 300 and left them for about an hour. Crispy skin and moist tender chicken. It was a hit. I then turned the leftovers into Buffalo Chicken Dip with authentic Anchor Bar wing sauce from Buffalo, NY.

Pics...
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • Grillmagic
    I did some chicken thighs last week. I left the skins on (it's my son's favorite part) and marinated overnight. Started direct at about 375-400 for a few minutes each side to get a nice sear. Then I lifted the grid and added wet hickory chips to the fire and put the platesetter in legs up. I lowered the heat to about 300 and left them for about an hour. Crispy skin and moist tender chicken. It was a hit. I then turned the leftovers into Buffalo Chicken Dip with authentic Anchor Bar wing sauce from Buffalo, NY. Pics...
    That looks Great! Love me some Chicken Thighs!
  • THose look awesome. 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    When my Mom came to visit last summer, I smoked a spatchcock and was really anxious to see her reaction to her first Egg chicken.
    Well, she peeled all the skin off and ate the meat!  I learned that she no longer eats chicken skin!  So, next time she visits, I'll be cooking skinless chicken for her (haven't tried it myself yet 'cept for some skinless breasts, I'm still experimenting with them).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Grillmagic
    I believe everything is better with the bone in it and if there is skin involved I vote skin, HOWEVER my sweetie would rather not have the skin any where near her dinner, guess what, I have come to love skinless chicken. Now Chicken Wang's Well that's another story!
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    The chicken thighs look great. I am a skin lover also but they come great either way...yum!!