Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FUBAR'ed the chicken wings

Options
grussem
grussem Posts: 120
Well I put some chicken wings on my BGE with the plate setter in, about 10 minutes later see a ton of smoke coming out of my egg, lift the top and notice there is a grease fire on the plate setter from the chicken fat.  The greasy smoke ruined the chicken wings.  Funny thing is, I've done spatchcock chicken and the drumettes before and that's never happened. Anyone else ever have this happen to them before?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Use a drip pan set on foil balls/ copper tees on top of the platesetter.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chicken, other than boneless, skinless breasts needs a raised drip pan if doing indirect. Direct, not had an issue - but we all learn what you have just discovered. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    that's exactly what happened on my first wing cook.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    We all make mistakes my friend. It happens to everyone. Years ago I loaded a brisket into Unit 2 before heading to work and just totaly forgot about it. It was several months later before I opened Unit 2. What a nice surprise I had before me when I opened it up. Hey it's part of it my friend. I just smile and keep pushing forward!! :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Put a pan of veggies under the chicken.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just go direct. I do spatchcocked chicken, wings, spatchcocked turkey, turkey wings and legs all direct at 400. Never had a problem (well once).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Put a pan of veggies under the chicken.

NM. I missed the wing part. Applies to whole chickens indirect.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    Sadly I didn't lose it. The rotten rascal was still inside of Unit 2. Wish I had of lost it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Eggcelsior‌ Sadly I didn't lose it. The rotten rascal was still inside of Unit 2. Wish I had of lost it.
    Would love to see pics of that. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    It would be a Polaroid my friend. Cell phones didn't exist then. But it would have made a great post for sure!!

Status- Standing by.

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Should be doing wings indirect anyway @ 350* raised... Try again you'll get the hang of it...

The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    How do you guys do raised direct without grease burning?  I assume you are saying used raised direct but also with a drip pan.... But I assume that drip pan will be burning fat going direct?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @stompbox‌ raise the grid to felt with woo, bricks, bolt, empty beer cans, whatever is available. The fat drips into the fire, but burns on coals and dissipates without affecting taste.
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options

So the  burning fat flavor only impacts the food when the food is closer to the fire?

I had done bacon wrapped scallops recently with the standard direct setup (grate on fire ring) and it dripped and smoked the food negatively.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It has been my experience with wings, spatch chicken and abts that I don't get a smoke flavor from drippings when raised direct. YMMV. Scallops may be more sensitive to smoke also, but I've never cooked them on the egg.