Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The new Artisan LBGE table has landed!

Options
And it is beautiful! Ordered a 18"x18" x1 1/4 inch granite tile to go under the low profile table nest! I will soon be ordering a beer bottle opener and new handle! This s@$t is a money pit but what the Hell! Before and after pics will come tomorrow as I am still working on removing the old gasket! What a pain in the ass! Scrape, scrape, Acetone, Scrape, sand, Acetone, scrape, sand! Tomorrow it's Acetone then Dremel drill with a stripping stone and I'm done!

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Some people use a 3M paint stripper on a drill to remove gasket quicker.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't use acetone till the end. I definitely wouldn't use a lot of it. Also, don't sand the ceramic smooth. I'd if sand it use a ridiculously heavy grit.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Here are the before and after pictures though the new gasket isn't done yet due to inclement weather today!  Loving the new home however.  Not a minute too soon though as the old rickety table was getting ready to collapse!
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks Henapple just curious, why not sand it to the smooth point?  Is the idea of getting rid of all the old glue before adhering the new gasket not as big a deal in your experience?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If it's left rough there is more surface area for the glue to adhere to. Definitely remove all theold glue tthough.
  • Bayarad
    Options
    Thanks for the insight @ Eggcelsior I will keep that in mind! I didn't sand it too smooth just enough to make my finger bleed! :D
  • pswarren
    Options
    Regarding the gasket, if you use enough glue to fill the rough surface voids and make full contact with the gasket, leaving it rough should work, I myself have always gone smooth. Have you every tried putting tape onto a rough surface vs a smooth surface? Again, if your glue is thick enough to fill the roughness it should work. If doing a Rutland with RTV rough would be better due to the heavy body of the RYV. If using a factory style gasket and 3M 77 spray I would go smooth for full contact of base, glue and gasket.