Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini max vs komado joe jr

Options
Not at all trying to start a pizzing match ... I just want to see the facts for my own considerations. I honestly swore up and down that I was all over this mini max as soon as it was available and I know one thing for sure; I'm definitely in the market for a smaller lightweight and portable komado cooker to compliment my XL and plan on pulling the trigger on one fairly soon. Just having a hard time wrapping my hands around the idea of paying $650 (that's with cost of platesetter) for this thing! Not saying I won't though.

So my question is, how do they truly compare side x side? Weight, grid size, dome heights, additional accessories availability, burn times, etc., etc.??? Is there really a clear winner here? I'm not in the least bit opposed to owning cookers from 2 seperate manufacturers ... it might even keep me open minded. I just truly want to feel like I got the best bang for my hard earned dollar when I bring this thing home. Lets hear it.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Size wise they are practically the same. They will cook identical as well. Being red or green doesn't offer any advantage. Just grab the one you like and enjoy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I don't have either one of them, but I was considering the same as you and did some research. In the end, if I had to pick I would go with the KJr for the $$ amount/what you get. I could go to Costco and get the KJr for $375 out the door - including a plate setter and an option for a raised grid. I believe there is more room for lump in the KJr too. With all of the accessories that come with it and the price (most important to me), the KJr is the better option.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• RickyBobby
    Options
    SGH said:

Size wise they are practically the same. They will cook identical as well. Being red or green doesn't offer any advantage. Just grab the one you like and enjoy.

Really??? That simple ... there's gotta be some differences between the two? If not, then maybe I truly see a red komado cooker in my near future.

• SGH
    Options
    No difference. Same grid and grate size. Just the color.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RickyBobby
    Options
    I even wonder if my local Costco has the Joe jr
  • SGH
    Options
    You can order a Joe from some online sources as well.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How does the joe jr compare to a small? Is it a little smaller than a small bge?

Little Rock, AR

• RickyBobby
    Options
    SGH said:

No difference. Same grid and grate size. Just the color.

If this is true, in my unprofessional opinion, there clearly is a winner. Just not sure it's the results I really wanted to hear! Of course, I may be happier in the end.

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Be sure to post this in the Kamado forum....
  • SGH
    Options
    Diameter wise it's identical. They use the same grid. It's just shorter like the mini max.

Status- Standing by.

• RickyBobby
    Options
    vidalia1 said:

Be sure to post this in the Kamado forum....

Not sure what you mean by this?

• RickyBobby
    Options
    If there is more room for lump in th JR does that mean it's taller overall compared to the MM? Also, does this mean longer burn times?
  • SGH
    Options
    No. the JJ and he MM are practically the same size. Burn times will be real similar.

Status- Standing by.

• RickyBobby
    Options
    SGH said:

No. the JJ and he MM are practically the same size. Burn times will be real similar.

Ok thanks ... I'd love to see them sitting side x side!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌ here's the KJ Jr's specs verbatim.
    imageimageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I was told by dealer, the one I paid full retail for my XL for 2 years ago, the one I tried to order a MM from 2 months ago who HAD KNOW idea what a MM was at the time that the season was now over here in Michigan and they would contact me in the spring of 2015 when they started getting in new product. HEY BGE can you make it any harder for me to buy your product? I KNOW you monitor this site and I would love a answer. I have a John Deere Tractor and several Schwinn bicycles and respect what a fair trade item is but you need to step up and tell me why I should hold out for your product. I Love my BGE and have made many memories with it but I was not treated like a family member, hell I got money. Could/Can and will you tell me how a loyal customer can secure/buy/receive a Mini Max
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think the Joe is a little taller.  In another discussion someone mentioned the MM was 17 inches tall.  The Joe Jr. is 22 inches tall.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Im not here to bash on BGE in any way, shape, or form. In fact, I love being a member of the cult! My XL has changed the way I cook forever. All that being said, I guess that's not enough for me to stay a faithful customer if I can buy an equally comparable product for a lot less money and still have a product that makes me happy!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The Joe Jr is taller than the mini max and will hold more lump. Its only a couple inches shorter than the small green egg. When I put my junior in the same table the small was in I had to add a paver and it still sat a little lower. The diameter is also a little bigger as my woo moves around much more in the KJ. I have not cooked on a mini max yet so I can't help you there but I will tell you 2 weeks after I got the KJ I got rid of my small egg.
  • Lit
    Options
    Also the mini max carrier looks nicer to me. If you do get the KJ make sure its on flat ground when you open the lid. I had mine on my drive way that slants a little and when I opened the KJ lid it made the front of the stand rock up a little. On flat ground its not an issue though.
  • Lit
    Options
    Also the mini max carrier looks nicer to me. If you do get the KJ make sure its on flat ground when you open the lid. I had mine on my drive way that slants a little and when I opened the KJ lid it made the front of the stand rock up a little. On flat ground its not an issue though.
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Will you folks on here think any less of me for cooking on a red komado? Really, I'd hate to be kicked to the curb! Lol!
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    KJ Freaking Rocks!
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Lit said:

The Joe Jr is taller than the mini max and will hold more lump. Its only a couple inches shorter than the small green egg. When I put my junior in the same table the small was in I had to add a paver and it still sat a little lower. The diameter is also a little bigger as my woo moves around much more in the KJ. I have not cooked on a mini max yet so I can't help you there but I will tell you 2 weeks after I got the KJ I got rid of my small egg.

Is it lighter than a small?

Little Rock, AR

• RickyBobby
    Options

KJ Freaking Rocks!

Now that you put it like that ... I'm all in!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Is it lighter than a small?
    68 lbs (Joe Jr) vs 80 lbs (small BGE). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have a small and really love it. Wouldnt mind making it a permanent feature at my camp but like having two eggs at home. I dont have a lot of trouble moving my small but certainly would be game for something a little more portable.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @RickyBobby‌
    I have a JOE Jr. so I fully support you if you buy one my friend..

Status- Standing by.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    The JJ is 68 lbs. that's almost double the size of the mini and closing in on the small's weight. What does the MM weigh?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Will you folks on here think any less of me for cooking on a red komado? Really, I'd hate to be kicked to the curb! Lol!
    owner of a BGE, Akorn, and Big Steel Keg here.   soon to be KJ owner too.