Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Recommendations for Asian Barbecue Sauce?

I've not had much experience with Asian barbecue sauces.  I mainly use typical major brands and a few I've made from Smoke & Spice.  Any recommendations for something generally available, or that I can make without mail-ordering ingredients?  I'm looking for something good on shrimp - maybe bacon-wrapped shrimp.  Thanks!

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Yoshida's

I buy it locally from a grocery store, but the link to Amazon will show you what it looks like.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    +1 on Yoshidas.  If you're near a Costco, they usually carry it in a 64oz jug.  Works well as a sauce, glaze, marinade, whatever.  We sometimes doctor it up depending on how we're using it - cut it if we want a marinade, add red pepper flakes or cayenne if we want to kick it up a bit, etc.  Works well in a wok and is fantastic on salmon and on grilled mushrooms.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Wegmans Asian bbq sauce is delicious.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Most markets around me carry hoisin sauce, which is used on all sorts of Chinese dishes, including those w. shrimp.

There are a number of Asian sauces and glazes that can be made with ingredients that are fairly common. Five-spice powder is available in a lot of places where I live, and it usually includes star anise and Szechuan pappers, which are not easy to find outside Asian markets.

Indian vindaloo can be made easily from common ingredients, w. the exception of palm vinegar, and white vinegar is a reasonable sub for that.

• New York Times had an article about wings today, including this great looking asian recipe, adaptable to the egg.  Looks real simple and that works for me.

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• canman
    canman Posts: 52
    I use Guy Feiri's "Fire cracker wing sauce" you can find the recipe at foodnetwork.com
    Tullahoma, Tennessee.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I like a lot of different recipes for chicken wings.  one of my favorite's is a recipe I'm still working on perfecting.  I had these back east at a Bertucci's restaurant. and now I'm trying to duplicate them.
    Tuscan Chicken Wings

A Bertucci’s original. Spicy wings marinated in lemon and rosemary. Grilled, juicy and crispy.

They had a fair amount of black pepper heat to the taste.  I'm not getting the lemon taste right, I think I might need to try using a zest instead of juice.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    From a joint in Atlanta.

Heirloom Market Korean BBQ Sauce
    “This is an Heirloom-only creation. It will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.”
    Makes about 3 quarts 

1 lb. brown sugar
    1 lb. white sugar
    ½ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup sesame oil
    1 12-oz. can Sprite
    4 cups gochujang paste

Dissolve both sugars in 6 cups hot water. Add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• I just saw this one...haven't tried it but looks good...

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/ble10312.htm

Gordon
    South Florida
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Just saw this on my cable TV guide. Cooks country/ATK (Create TV) at 830 tonight is doing Chinese style glazed pork tenderloin. Might have a good sauce recipe. Worth a look maybe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Bottled - General Tsao from House of Tsang - available at Wally World - <$3 a bottle. also makes a great stir fry sauce. 
    Personal favourite of made at home is @cazzy wing sauce. Make it, let it sit in the fridge for a day or two to develop some heat and then reduce to the desired consistency, maybe 15 minutes or so. When used as a sauce, I add sesame oil to taste. It is great on bacon wrapped water chestnuts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Thanks all.  
    I'm going to try a few of them this weeked.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I went with the Hoisin on shrimp.  It was very popular at the Russellville Eggfest today (Egg'n in the Valley).  People were sticking their plates out before I could get the shrimp moved to the serving platter.

Thanks for the recommendations!