Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to use the BGE folding grate

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,895
I saw @Lit complaint about the BGE folding grate. That complaint is common, but it is incorrect! If you spring the legs out they will hook tightly to the regular grate and will not collapse! Besides it grips so well that both may be picked up as a single unit. HTH
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    never had a problem with that grate, heres 16 pounds of butt sitting on one

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks for the support, fishless!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    never had a problem with that grate, heres 16 pounds of butt sitting on one

@fishlessman what size is that Egg XL or Lg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Lets see a picture of Ron sitting on it. That'll tell us how sturdy it really is.

Little Rock, AR

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    thats a large egg, about 32 pounds brisket and butt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    I saw @Lit complaint about the BGE folding grate. That complaint is common, but it is incorrect! 

With all due respect Ron, what makes your opinion on a product "correct" over another?
    I own a folding grate but would never purchase another. Knowing what I know now I would rather use a Woo or a second grid with 3 bolts as legs. This lets me remove it to get to the lower grate as well as easily move the cooking grid 180 degrees and not shift the lower.
    The quality of the BGE folding grate also depends on the fabrication and fitting of all the wire bends. If they are off it does not fit well.
    I'm glad you like yours but don't see that it gives you the right to call out another opinion as "incorrect". IMO

On another note. With your browser open on your MAC, hold down the "command" key and press the "+" or "-" key to enlarge the text/page in your browser. Really helps with smaller text on forums and such.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Do you really expect an answer from Ron or is this a rhetorical question?  (p.s. I think I know the answer)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What's the cost?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

My 2¢

I tend to agree with Ron on this one.  For a "bang for the buck" value, the grid extender at around $30 is a worhty piece of equipment when used correctly.  Just my opinion though.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• RRP
    Options
    It was one of the first accessories I bought years ago and I don't recall. I am pretty sure that was before Tom starting making and selling his Woo products.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Thanks for the insight on how to do it correctly.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks for the insight on how to do it correctly.
    I merely suggested what works for me. 
  • henapple
    Options
    What's the cost?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:

WOW - I sure didn't expect that, Darian! I've seen and heard people try to just fold the legs out and expect it to stand without springing it tight and then it falls. When I read @Lit complaint about it I just offered my solution as a suggestion. I hardly think that was calling someone out.

You did not just offer a solution Ron. You flat out called his views on it "incorrect!".

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've got one. Used it 2-3 times "correctly". Didn't like that I couldn't remove it easily so I built a raised grid and use it a LOT. I think when Tom at CGS develops the Woo setup for the Max I'll go that route vs PS etc. It seems more versatile.
    @henapple‌ I paid $30 ish + Uncle Sam at my dealer a little over 1 yr ago. For my LBGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    RRP said:

WOW - I sure didn't expect that, Darian! I've seen and heard people try to just fold the legs out and expect it to stand without springing it tight and then it falls. When I read @Lit complaint about it I just offered my solution as a suggestion. I hardly think that was calling someone out.

You did not just offer a solution Ron. You flat out called his views on it "incorrect!".

Fine...you win...I'm out of here
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ can't please everybody I spect. :) I also didn't take Ron's statement for anything but, " how to". It didn't seem ugly to me at all. :-?? Maybe because I read it FWIW. I didn't read into it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    Options
    For the love of everything holy can I get the g $@%=&" price. Judas /#! $ a priest. @RRP‌? You pumped the thing, how much the mofo cost?
  • RRP
    Options
    henapple said:
    For the love of everything holy can I get the g $@%=&" price. Judas /#! $ a priest. @RRP‌? You pumped the thing, how much the mofo cost?

I bought mine 14 years ago! I do not recall what I paid for it! All I was trying to do today was be helpful by sharing how I get mine to work for those who already owned one and were dissatisfied with it! If just stood up it will collapse...but at least for me I found a way that it stays rigid. As for price Blake said he paid $30 plus tax.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    henapple said:

I've got one. Used it 2-3 times "correctly". Didn't like that I couldn't remove it easily so I built a raised grid and use it a LOT. I think when Tom at CGS develops the Woo setup for the Max I'll go that route vs PS etc. It seems more versatile.
    @henapple‌ I paid $30 ish + Uncle Sam at my dealer a little over 1 yr ago. For my LBGE.

Come on Gramps put on the bifocals. :-B
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    Options
    $30...ludicrous. ..and not the stupid rapper @Eggcelsior loves. Both are stupid. If you have a brisket and pork butts on...why are you going to lift the grid?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    henapple said:

$30...ludicrous. ..and not the stupid rapper @Eggcelsior loves. Both are stupid. If you have a brisket and pork butts on...why are you going to lift the grid?

You're not. Thus why mine collects dust.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

I haven't used my Grid Extender in years, but I know where it is and how to use it (properly).  It dates back to when there were only about three accessories available from BGE.  But creative Eggheads came up with a few good ideas, some marketable and some easily made at home. 

Fire Bricks (splits) were very popular when I became an Egghead, and the Plate Setter was not a BGE invention at all, but part of what is called Kiln Furniture in the ceramics industry.  It was a long time before BGE decided to make their own version of it. 

I also remember Chubby's entry into the EGGcessory World - his Grate Mates.  I still use mine on my Small Egg, the only size Egg they fit.  Apparently, he made his millions from it and retired to the good life of touring Bourbon distilleries and Winery's. 

Then TJV came along and took some good ideas and made them better, then even better, then even better.  By then, BGE finally saw the light and started designing their own versions of some of those ideas. 

Eggheads coming aboard now have a wide range of EGGcessories to select from.  But I'm betting the original Grid Extender is not among them, except on rare occasions. I still like it.

Aaaaaaa.... Remembering The Good Old Days.

Spring "Grids - Stack 'em If You've Got 'em" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• henapple
    Options
    Homemade rack... $15 image
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL‌ I agree the extender is useable but its not what I would expect from BGE. I had one originally and don't know where it is anymore but its one of those things people buy when they get their first egg and don't know any better then they learn and go damn BGE sold me this POS.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Geez what did I miss? I didn't think anybody was being ugly. I dont understand all the hostility.

Little Rock, AR

• henapple
    Options
    Well it started with ron calling lit a moron and went downstairs from there.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Guess I missed that.

Little Rock, AR