Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs Mini-Max; why the wait?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,378
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
I clearly have missed or forgotten the selling points for the Mini-Max (relegated to ancient history?),  but wonder the advantages that it has over the SBGE.  I know there are many here who are patiently waiting for it to hit the market-place but some comments on another thread prompted my question.  Disclosure-I'm not in the market for another BGE but there have been some epic cooks posted here with the SBGE.  
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The Mini Max is the same diameter as the small, but squaty like the XL. I kind like small myself. If was to get a second one it would be the small or medium not the mini. It just just looks to small for me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Got the sbge last Christmas as a present to our selves. Like it a lot, have a large also, nice combo for us.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I wouldn't trade my small for anything.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The general idea is grid space of the small plus the portability of the mini.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    One downside I see is that the max won't hold as much lump as the mini for a long cook.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm waiting because we wanted a 2nd egg that was mobile but, also has the capability of some decent cooking volume. The SBGE footprint is a little too big but, the cooking area is perfect thus the Max. We liked the Mini but, for what we wanted the Max fits the billet. I know the SBGE could be considered mobile but, not like the Max. We'll continue to be as patient as we can.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If BGE made a Handler for the small, I would buy a small next for the weight, instead, I plan on buying a medium, which actually for my intended application, may still be a better choice than the small anyway as there may come the occasion where I am cooking for more than a family of 3 at my mountain cabin.

Which prompts the question, how many racks of ribs can you smoke on a medium?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• shtgunal3
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

One downside I see is that the max won't hold as much lump as the mini for a long cook.

Meant to say was the max won't hold as much lump as the small.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Meant to say was the max won't hold as much lump as the small.
    Here's a pic of the maxi-mini inside. Note the relative size to the ball point pen laying there.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    If BGE made a Handler for the small, I would buy a small next for the weight, 

For under $30 you can buy a PotLifter to pack your small with ease. I can carry mine by myself like a duffle bag, but if there are two of you carrying it then it's even easier. BTW my wife and I can easily handle our medium with the PotLifter as well!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    They had a lot of mini maxes at eggtoberfest with a price tag of 569 I believe. The nest it was in was designed for portability.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• shtgunal3
    Options
    My mobile SBGE table.image

I do like the idea of the pot lifter @RRP‌

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Side note failed to get a pic but they way they were set up and advertised in the merchandise tent I would think they are officially on sale. A few cooks actually were using them. I saw 2 in use.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• 3sheets
    3sheets Posts: 81
    edited October 2014
    Options
    SWMBO saw the minimax at EGGtoberfest today and now she wants one. I don't know what the attraction is for her, but I'm OK. I think a trip to the Mothership is in my future.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    If BGE made a Handler for the small, I would buy a small next for the weight, 

For under $30 you can buy a PotLifter to pack your small with ease. I can carry mine by myself like a duffle bag, but if there are two of you carrying it then it's even easier. BTW my wife and I can easily handle our medium with the PotLifter as well!

Thanks for the suggestion, but i want the handler to hold it on to a nest and make it easy to roll around over rough terrain.  I'm going to put big 6" pneumatic wheels under, two casters, and two fixed.  The fixed wheels will be on the handler side so I can tip it like a dolly to roll it up over steps and rough uneven terrain.  Once I get a new job, I will be buying what I want and building my "off-road" egg.  I will take pics when the project is done.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    3sheets said:
    SWMBO say the minimax at EGGtoberfest today and now she wants one. I don't know what the attraction is for her, but I'm OK. I think a trip to the Mothership is in my future.
    @3sheets   ... ever hear the song by Kenny Chesney 'She think's my tractors sexy' ... well, she thinks the minimax is sexy ...lol. 

Happy wife ... happy life!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

Side note failed to get a pic but they way they were set up and advertised in the merchandise tent I would think they are officially on sale. A few cooks actually were using them. I saw 2 in use.

That may be the most substantial news yet! There may be hope @NPHuskerFL‌ !!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @Zmokin‌ , @caliking‌ built some pretty cool "all-terrain nests". Maybe he'll show some pics.

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Found a pic of one in action today. Check out the nest. image

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I like the nest/carrier. Thanks for the pic @Smokinpig‌

• NPHuskerFL
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Smokinpig‌ Drool ^^^^^ tease :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Soooo ...

We know the price of a Minimax is approx $569, whats the current price of a small egg?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Around $630
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Soooo ...

We know the price of a Minimax is approx $569, whats the current price of a small egg?
    Where exactly did you get the pricing on the MAX?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Husker they had price tags on them today at eggtoberfest in the vendor tent. I am 99 percent sure it was 569.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MSRP was listed in the retail tent at Eggtoberfest at $598
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    My dealer told me the small was under $600. I really don't have a reason to travel around with an egg just yet. We don't camp out and other family members use gas and won't spend the money for what an egg cost. I would like like something for smaller cooks, but I have partitioned off part of the fire box for a indirect area.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SoCalTim
    edited October 2014
    Options
    On an earlier post on this thread.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Thanks @crimsongator. I added the pic to your thread.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I am taking a mini max home with me today. Give me a day to get home and I can post comparison pics of it and a small