Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FTC/Reheat?

Options
OK, I have a large cook coming up to where I am going to smoke a brisket and two pork butts on my XL for my brothers 60th birthday and I may have to push the FTC to 8-10 hours or more. I am planning on starting them on a Friday afternoon around 4 or 5 and hope that they are done by 8 the next morning. Now I off that day and my start earlier if needed, but after I FTC them, they won't be eaten tell about 5 pm at the earliest. My thought was to put them into an oven and warm them up before I slice and pull the pork. Is that a good idea and what temp and for how long? I don't want to dry them out. Now I will save drippings back to help keep moist
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You certainly can reheat them my friend. I like to reheat at a temp between 225-275 degress. Also when reheating a fully cooked primal or subprimal I stop when the internal hits a perfect 140 degrees. Any higher internally and the meat will start to "restrict" if you are not very carful. Please note that I said on (fully cooked). When reheating partially cooked meat, it can and should be taken to actual finish temp.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @SGH, Thank you, I figured you would know. Now the fun put is that the pork will be done before the brisket so i will have meat temp monitor in one of them so I don't burn them up. I may get daring and hang some sausage from the daisy wheel when I smoking the other 3. I am looking forward to this cook and it should be a good one.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌
    Reheating is a very simple process. The only thing to be very mindful of is if the meat has been FULLY cooked, then do not warm past 140 internal temp. At 140 you will not adultarate or degrade the quality at all. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Ok, now I am thinking of cooking everything the day before and refrigerating it over night. I would go ahead and pull the pork and save back drippings for moisture, but I wouldn't slice the brisket. The other option is cook PB's first and then cook the brisket over night and FTC it only. I would pull the PB after resting a half hour or so. Any thoughts.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would go for your second option.   Foil the butts and reheat with some liquid to 140F.  That can take 2-3 hours, so make sure you start the reheat early enough.
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Ladeback69‌ Reheating is a very simple process. The only thing to be very mindful of is if the meat has been FULLY cooked, then do not warm past 140 internal temp. At 140 you will not adultarate or degrade the quality at all. Good luck my friend.

So if I take the brisket and pork butts to 150-160, I could pull them, refrigerate them and finish the next day to 200?  That would make things easier.  I am also thinking off adding 3 slabs of baby backs and some sausage to the mix to make sure I have enough food and a variety.  There may be any where from 30 to 50 people and I like leftovers.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    I would just get another egg
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Grambler‌, I would like to, but SWMBO would not like that right now. I do have Weber Smokey Mountain I may use too will see. I am thinking of doing the ribs and sausage first then put on the butts and brisket to ride through night.

Kansas City, Mo.