Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I read about all of the overnighters and must confess I've never done one.  Whether I cook a butt at 250 or like today at about 290, they never take long.  My butts are generally under 10 pounds so maybe the overnight ones are much bigger? Today's was just over 6 pounds and took 6 hours.  Put it on at 10:30 and was pulled and ready to go by 5:00.  I'm still learning so would appreciate your thoughts.image

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is it tasty...all that matters. I usually go 225-250.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    Oh...it looks good. =D>
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    It does look good, regardless of how long it takes. Have you calibrated your thermometer?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    If you are getting the results you are looking for then keep doing what you're doing.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    As everyone else is saying good results are good results. I go 2 hours per pound at 240* or so. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Like the others have said, if it works, don't f#€* with it! A butt has personality, no two cooks will be the exact same.

I do think that checking your done thermo, if not done yet, would be a good thing. You might be wayyyy off!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    If it tastes as good as it looks, you are doing nothing wrong. On Butts, there is no right answer. An hour per pound at ~300 sounds about right. If you are happy with it, then don't change.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Pulled pork that looks like that great, no way that you're doing anything wrong!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I just did a 5 lb butt yesterday. On at 10:00 am and off at 10:30 pm. Cooked approx. 275 all day. It was great. +1 on if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    Options
    @DaveRichardson‌ ....yes, butts have personality. She has a great personality.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @henapple‌
    Who ever she is, she has my undivided attention ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• khristyjeff
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, all.  Your reminder to check the dome thermo is a good one, too.  Haven't done that since I bought it.  
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    wow...what a juicy butt Apple

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SGH said:

@henapple‌
    Who ever she is, she has my undivided attention ;)

But NO @Seal of Approval???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    I'm dying to give the seal of approval. But I didn't know if it would be appropriate or not brother trim. I think it goes without saying that she more than earns everyone's seal of approval ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Remember to put your thermapen into the deepest part of the butt! :)

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.