Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs - first time, what should I buy?

Options
Looking to smoke/cook/egg some beef ribs shortly. I have never done these before. 

Does anyone have a recommendation on what type of beef rib to buy? I thinking I will just try a small amount to see how the family likes them.

Thanks
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Uncut bone-on short ribs. Plate or Chuck work, plate if you have a choice.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks @DMW
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    We all have different taste and preferences. That said I prefer the massive "Dino" ribs. All are excellent though. I'm just real fond of the ribeye on a stick my brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you want very meaty ribs, normally the Chuck Short Ribs or Plate Ribs are the ones to get.  If you have a cooperative butcher, you can probably get meaty Beef Back Ribs (ribeye on a stick as @sgh says).  Most butchers only leave on a little meat so they call the rest of it at much higher prices.

As far as prices go (these are from Restaurant Depot in Philadelphia), Beef back ribs are about $3.49/pound. Chuck Short ribs are about $3.89/pound, and Plate ribs are about $6.59/pound.

The important thing is to get them as a slab - don't let the butcher cut them.  This is especially true with Chuck Short ribs since most butchers have never thought that you can cook unless they are cut up.

Here is a pointer to a Plate Rib cook I did: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs

Chuck Short ribs can be done about the same way and they come out equally good.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Shiff said:
    If you want very meaty ribs, normally the Chuck Short Ribs or Plate Ribs are the ones to get.  If you have a cooperative butcher, you can probably get meaty Beef Back Ribs (ribeye on a stick as @sgh says).  Most butchers only leave on a little meat so they call the rest of it at much higher prices.

As far as prices go (these are from Restaurant Depot in Philadelphia), Beef back ribs are about $3.49/pound. Chuck Short ribs are about $3.89/pound, and Plate ribs are about $6.59/pound.

The important thing is to get them as a slab - don't let the butcher cut them.  This is especially true with Chuck Short ribs since most butchers have never thought that you can cook unless they are cut up.

Here is a pointer to a Plate Rib cook I did: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs

Chuck Short ribs can be done about the same way and they come out equally good.
    I'm with @Shiff on chuck vs plate. I really like plate, but for the $$$ I think I'm going back to chuck for my next purchase.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    Options
    Thanks @Shiff‌ and @DMW‌ .
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    Options
    Het @Shiff‌ in your post, what was the sauce you wrapped your ribs in? Was that out of Serious Barbecue by APL?

Thanks
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Het @Shiff‌ in your post, what was the sauce you wrapped your ribs in? Was that out of Serious Barbecue by APL?

Thanks
    Yes,  it was Adam Perry Lang's recipe which I modified a bit.  There is a link to his recipe in the first post in that string.

He had a rather elaborate sauce that he added to the foil, but I just used some BBQ sauce.  His recipe is great but I simplified it a bit.  I have since used the asme technique on Chuck Short RIbs and it works great - just the cooking time changes a little - I just go by the tenderness of the meat before wrapping.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tulocay
    Options
    Thanks @Shiff‌ . If I had read your earlier post carefully, I would have seen that :-*
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    Options
    Didn't mean to pick that graphic either!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA