Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another brisket thread

Options
I've been wanting to do a brisket since the NOLA brisket camp gave me the inspiration.

So this morning I decided today was the day. Started with a 13 lb choice brisket that I hacked to pieces trying to trim. Salt and pepper and placed on the egg with oak chips for smoke- couldn't find chunks at the two stores I went to.

Going with a temp of 250 and cheating with the cyberQ.

Greensboro, NC

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Looks Awesome so far....wait I think I can smell it from up the road. Good luck and have a great day.
    :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Good start.  Keep the pics coming?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    153 internal- grid temp up to 275-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    anyone seen a stall at 150 range? I've been at this temp for an hour- actually lost 2 degrees.
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    The stall can happen anywhere the beef hunk decides (150 is the low end and I have been up to 170 before it hits)-but with running at 275*F on the grid it won't last forever.  Looks like a real banquet awaits!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    I wrapped the brisket for 2 hrs and now have temp up to 350- going to try to eat a slice tonight. I have 3/4 probing like butter but part of the flat is being difficult. Never seen the flat finish after the point.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    In bumping this so I can delve deeper when time permits later to night. The stall can happen sub-150's. It absolutely can and will depending on several factors. I will discuss them in depth later tonight. I can't believe some one hasnt jumped on this for you, but I will later brother Wolf.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Options
    Thanks @sgh- knew you would be along at some point. Just the first time I have seen a stall this low on a brisket. But one thing I have learned is each piece of meat is different- guess that's what makes it fun
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    If you can call me around 9:00pm. It will save me a lot of typing my friend. You can even call me collect if need be. Name is Scottie.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Generally the lower the cooking temp the lower the commencement of the stall.   Less humidity in the smoker also lowers the stall.  If you have brined meat, it increases the stall temp, all things equal.  More surface area to volume (imagine a squashed butt) also lowers the stall.  Less fat cap decreases the stall.  That's all I know.
    Options
    I have had a stall at around the 150 mark, but I was also having an issue with rain interfering with my airflow and had to open the vents up. If you have wrapped it and up the heat it should get there soon. Did you add any liquid when you wrapped it? I have never had to wrap a brisket, but I am sure it will happen sometime. Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    Forgot to give you my number in my haste. Sorry. 228-627-5400.

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Options
    It's off- will let you know how it turned out when I slice but doesn't feel like one of me better ones. Maybe I'll be surprised-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Would give it a 5 out of 10- wife liked it but after going to Franklins I am ruined. I think the high heat at the end turned the fat almost bacon like-
    Greensboro, NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Wolfpack-Given you have been to the contemporary  Holy Grail then you are:
    a.  fortunate to have enjoyed Franklins and 
    b. cursed to have Franklins as a comparison...
    c. but enjoy the ride.  May be better than you think and we are our own toughest critics.  Off the soap-box.  Enjoy the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Would give it a 5 out of 10- wife liked it but after going to Franklins I am ruined. I think the high heat at the end turned the fat almost bacon like-
    Normally, I would ask here "and what's wrong with bacon?"