Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about beer can chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does this cook about the same as Naked Whiz's dead simple spatchcock chicken, 350 for 1 hour? I'm guessing more like 1.5 hours.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JeffH,
    4 - 5 lb chicken, set at 325 - 350 over plate setter in a beer can, you are correct, figure about 1 1/2 hours.... i do them all the time, my favorite method. ...yummy

• terrafirmay
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    50- 60 minutes at 450 - 500 degrees. No platesetter. yummy.

• Unknown
    Options
    JeffH,
    Gotta love this forum. Multiple options in mere minutes.

• EGGstremist
    Options
    JeffH,
    My 2 cents......(or no sense!) I've done both beer can and spatchcock. IMHO spatchcock is superior in taste, tenderness, and presentation (unless of course you don't mind the sight of a beer can up the butt of a chicken)

• a stick
    a stick Posts: 69
    Options
    JeffH,[p]Take yer time. Try 250 indirect with a few wood chunks for 4-5 hours. I like to go around 4.5 hours or longer. Breast is always moist thanks to half a can of Coors as the throne.
  • Unknown
    Options
    EGGstremist,
    And there is Dr BBQ's take in his book that the liquid in the beer can doesn't/can't actually be helping at all. Check out "Beer Can Chicken without the beer can". I'm sure spatchcock is certainly as good, and probably better, but I'm a new egger just wanting to try another recipe.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JeffH,
    yep, as a regular beer butt chicken guy, i also read that with great interest. ... and certainly ray has forgotten more about cooking than i've ever learned. ..all i know is that beer butt chickens are the absolute favorite in my house, for whatever reason. . ..

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    vertical.jpg
    <p />JeffH,[p]I use this chicken sitter instead of a beer can. I put wine garlic, and different fresh hebs in the cylinder. Cook direct at 350 and comes out great every time. I can actually taste the different flavors from the wine and herbs.
    juice.jpg

• Unknown
    Options
    I understand why you'd want the temperature higher - a shorter cook means the chicken should be more moist, right? What's the opposite argument - why would you want to cook a chicken for 4 hours? This seems perfect for ribs, but not chicken.[p]I know this is not a new question, but my searches didn't turn up much.