Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket. Back to the basics.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Going back to the basics and the tried and true method with this one. 200-225 degrees under immense and heavy oak smoke. Over the past few weeks in preparation for brother Nola's brisket camp I ran enough hot and fast briskets to last me a life time. Not with this one though. Unit #6 will idle online comfortably between 200 and 225 degrees for the duration.
The brisket. 18 pound packer.
Grade. Walmart select.
Water pan. 5 gallons of pure water.
Rub. Salt, pepper, and cayenne. And just a touch of voodoo dust for appearance.
Wood. 95% oak and 5% pecan.
The smoker. Reverse flow off set. Unit #6.
Time. To be determined but guessing 22 hours, give or take a little.
Why am I cooking brisket at 3:00am? Just bored my friends. Just bored.
Here are a few shots of Unit #6 coming up to temp and online.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Bringing the Vertical side of Unit #6 online as well. May throw in some sausage and bacon for breakfast.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Decided to go extra heavy on the rub. No particular reason other than boredom.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Loaded at 4:30am on the dot.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Looking good SGH.
    Did you build that offset?
    I'd like to have one like that someday.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SGH
    Options
    Feeding Unit #6.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @pescadorzih‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. No sir, i did not do the actual fabrication. However I did test and set the baffle to make it run even. The vertical does have 2 mods that are my design. Again thank you for the kind words my brother.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @pescadorzih‌
    If you ever decide to purchase one, if you will give me a few weeks notice I can get you one for less than half price. I do a little tuning and testing for a couple of pretty big pit builders. I get quite a break on test units. Unit 6 happens to be a test unit its self. As you can see they are basically brand new except for 2 or 3 fires that was used for tuning and tweaking. Not a bad deal at all my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    First spritzing.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Man, that one piece looks lonely in there. You better give it some company!

Looking good as always!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Making me hungry- keep the updates coming.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    One hour and thirty eight minutes in and Unit 6 is purring at a near perfect 200 degrees.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Is the bacon ready?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Yes sir. But I ate it. :D

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Second spritzing.
    Still idling at 200 degrees.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@SGH Being from Texas, I don't believe you can have to much rub on a 18lb Brisket.

Looking good sir. Is the spritz an apple juice, cider or secret sauce?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hotch‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. The spritz is honest to goodness just straight well water. Nothing else my friend. For beef, water is the only spritz that I use. Pork and poultry is a different story though. Again thanks brother Hotch.

Status- Standing by.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looking good!  To bad I am not your neighbor!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Thank you brother tar. If we were neighbors, I feel that we would probably need a cardio thoracic surgen on stand ny full time ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Looking good so far! I hope you have the day off from work, because it looks like you were up all night. :)
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌
    Thank you brother Dyal. I'm off until later this evening. Brother I honestly don't sleep much at all.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Coming along nicely. Time for another quick spritz.
    Unit 6 belching steam.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Due to impending weather I'm forced to move the brisket to the vertical end of Unit 6 for a 450 degree finish. This isn't what I wanted but the weather dictates the out come. So hear goes another high heat finish against my wishes. Oh well, can't win them all I recon.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brisket looks killer!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thank you brother husker. The weather is fixing to rain on my parade though. Having to get up on the heat to try and finish before it gets bad. Shooting for 440 degrees. Getting close my friend.
    The vertical approaching the 400 degree mark for a hot and fast finish.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bring it home brotha.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    A useful tip my friends. Notice that the bark has already darkened substantially after only 8 minutes at 440 degrees. This is what you need to watch for when running high heat to avoid scorching.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Having to spritz about every 10 minutes now due to the very high heat.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @SGH Meat on a hook, gotta love it. Look'n good.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    What was going to be a 22 hour cook ended up a 7 hour 15 minute cook due to weather. Nonetheless, I hope y'all enjoyed my friends.

Status- Standing by.