Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carnitas, or something like that.

Options
Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
edited October 2014 in Pork
Firstly, sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

On Sunday morning I picked up a shoulder pack at Costco and decided to throw together some stuff to make a seasoning paste and cook this for a few hours until it fell apart.

I dried off the butt after lighting the egg:

I then tossed lots of garlic cloves, cilantro, oregano, paprika, sazon, salt, pepper and maybe some other stuff into the food processor.

I then rubbed my butt:

I smoked the butt for 1.5 hours with a little oak, then put it into my Dutch oven on top of onion and green pepper with a little bit of mojo.
Back onto the egg for a couple more hours:

All done:

Pulled:

Good stuff.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks like some sweet butt. 
    =D>
    Options
    That looks killer.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @eggcelsior looks spicy good, what temp did you put it on when you used the dutch oven?
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Oops. I went at 350 for the whole cook.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nice cook!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You have my attention sir. Please allow me to: imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Wow that looks very nice!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What! No plated pics! Good God man................................ Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I like looking at your butt. :\"> ;) Nicely done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I like looking at your butt. :\"> ;) Nicely done.

:-O L-)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    That looks fantastic, great idea.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Nice butt. What was the final internal temp? Total cook time?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nicely done.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @tulocay The butt was around 6 lbs and I cooked it until it probed like butter. I didn't pay too much attention to the temp but it was between 195-200°. Total time was a little more than 3.5 hours.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That is an interesting approach and a great way to cook a butt quickly.  I just so happen to have a 6 pounder in my freezer and have a couple questions...

Did you get smoke flavor out of the 1.5 hour exposed cook time?
    Did you retain all the drippings in the dutch oven after you pulled it or pour some off?  Wasn't sure if it would be too much fat or not.  
    It does look good, though and I like the home made fresh rub!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @KiterTodd There was some flavor, but I should have used more wood(I only used 1 large chunk). It didn't really matter as I usually don't add any when making this, lechon asado, or ropa vieja.

I kept all the drippings in the pan. That's a 7.5 qt oval so it only filled about halfway. As is typical with most stewed/braised meals, it tastes better the second day so I will skim off the congealed fat after refrigerating. When I first pull, I take off what ever I'm eating for that night and set it aside to keep it from being too greasy, adding some drippings on the top when serving.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited October 2014
    Options
    save a little of that fat and melt it in a cast iron pan and use that to warm up your next batch. That is how real Carnitas get that crispy outer layer. Mmmmm... pan fried in pig fat. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Eggcelsior, you had me at Ropa Vieja.  That's a common restaurant item now but I've never made it.  I assume you use a similar method but a cut of beef?  (which?)

Good point about taking out the congealed fat the next day. 
    I think you called my weekend cook....  I'll make it Friday, and maybe serve it Saturday.

How do you reheat it without the meat getting tough?   I find that happens sometimes.  I'm guessing you can slow heat it on the stove right in that pot.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Buddy...That looks fantastic. Would look even better on a fresh tortilla...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Eggcelsior, you had me at Ropa Vieja.  That's a common restaurant item now but I've never made it.  I assume you use a similar method but a cut of beef?  (which?)

Good point about taking out the congealed fat the next day. 
    I think you called my weekend cook....  I'll make it Friday, and maybe serve it Saturday.

How do you reheat it without the meat getting tough?   I find that happens sometimes.  I'm guessing you can slow heat it on the stove right in that pot.
    Reheat in the liquid. No issues with drying out.

save a little of that fat and melt it in a cast iron pan and use that to warm up your next batch. That is how real Carnitas get that crispy outer layer. Mmmmm... pan fried in pig fat. 

Indeed. That is what my container of lard is for.

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Man, that is AWESOME
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    Tried something similar this week. It was good, but probably not recognizable as carnitas by anyone from Mexico.
    I cut mine into 2 inch cubes and cooked in closed cast iron filled with water for about 1 1/2 hours and then uncovered for almost another hour until IT was over 180. I made a rub from tri-color pepper, Kosher salt, garlic and cumin. Also added bay leaves and half an orange to the water.
    I would have done it your way, if only you had posted last week.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Eggcelsior. ..I love your butt. :x
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

This looks awesome and I totally wanna try it now... thanks a bunch @Eggcelsior!

I'm curious though, how was this plated/served? 

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @BRush00 On Sunday, I just served it with some rice and black beans.

Monday, I heated a but up and put it in flour tortillas with some cheese and salsa verde. I might do nachos or put it on a pizza tonight. I like to make this and serve it through the week on a multitude of things. The flavor melds well with a lot of stuff.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whatever you call it, it looks stellar. I was thinking of cooking beef tongue sometime, and I might just steal your idea.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    edited October 2014
    Options
    caliking said:
    Whatever you call it, it looks stellar. I was thinking of cooking beef tongue sometime, and I might just steal your idea.
    Nice. I see that every once in a while at the grocer. I might try to sneak it past SWMBO by shaving it first. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks amazing - like the idea of smoke then braise . . . but if I put our Le Creuset on the BGE my wife would snip off my balls and feed them to me !!!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@Eggcelsior - Found it . http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157047/lengua-de-res

Most recipes I found started with boiling it. I think it would be amenable to braising, which is why your recipe may work with it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    NDG said:

Looks amazing - like the idea of smoke then braise . . . but if I put our Le Creuset on the BGE my wife would snip off my balls and feed them to me !!!

Add a 6 or 7 quart lodge enameled Dutch oven to your Xmas list. They're generally available at Walmart or target for $60-70. It can be dedicated for egg use only.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD